Low blood sugar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

BentMikey said:
Because if you're diabetic and you don't know (i.e. not under treatment), it's extremely unlikely that you'll get any hypos. OTOH if you are diagnosed, then it's quite a likely cause of hypos because of the nature of the various treatment/management types for diabetes.

In any event go see a doctor as others have said already.

I self diagnosed because I went hypo after eating a glucose syrup coated waifer biscuits on an empty stomach 1st thing in the morning, and then followed by some running around (Only by chance I got to my parents and they sorted me out with some toast and a cup of sweet tea stopped me from passing out, I felt very peculiar ;) )

This was before I went onto medication.

There are millions of people who have the condition and are undiagnosed.

You feel ok when you have high BG levels, but this is where the damage is done to the body.

If you are a type 1, then the symptoms come on fairly quickly, and you would be put onto insulin immediately

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That sounds like a basic misunderstanding of diabetes to me.

OP
OP
B

bianco

PrettyboyTim said:
Cripes! Is it downfill both ways!? ;)

Also - yes, you should see your doctor. It might also be worth having a look on the NHS Direct site, they have a little twnety questions style self-help section that might shed some light on your problem.

NO, thats only on my way to work, and it is mainly downhill, thats why its not so fast.

But thanks guys, I'm trying mikeys tip this morning of having a bowl of porridge aswell as my 2 slices of buttered toast to see if that makes any difference.

I've got an appointment booked in with the doctor for this Friday so I'm glad you pursuaded me.

Regarding going to the toilet, I do appear to go a lot more often than my collegues. I'm hoping I've got no worries or something that is manageable.

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how I feel later.

LLB

BentMikey said:
That sounds like a basic misunderstanding of diabetes to me.

In what respect ? I (now) know how the metabolic processes work with diabetes, but before I diagnosed, I had a very sweet tooth, and lived in ignorant bliss.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you were an undiagnosed and untreated diabetic at that point, then you almost certainly wouldn't have had a hypo because you'd have had too little or ineffective insulin around in your system to mop up and use all that sugar from the waffles you ate and cause the hypo.

LLB

That is not the way it works with type 2s Mikey (I may actually be a type 1 LADA or type 1.5 LADA or even type 2, as I've never been above my normal BMI range for my height and my father and brother are both diabetic), but this is yet to be confirmed). I am insulin resistant, but not necessarily a low insulin producer. This means that I can carry high BG levels in my blood, but the insulin resistance is not allowing storage in the cells (this causes lethargy as your cells cannot get the glucose for energy).

This is why when your BG level goes above 10.0 you want to take a regular leak as the kidneys see it as a toxin to filter. The problem with this is that you get dehydrated with the extra elimination, and the glucose clogs the small veins in the kidneys (as well as the eyes) which is why they also do protein testing on diabetics.

when I did my glucose tolerance test (on an empty stomach), my pre test BG was 7.6, mid test 1 hour later was 17.1, post test 1 hour on again was 13.6. I walked home about a mile from the hospital with just the polycal (glucose formula) to keep me going and by the time I got home about 15 minutes later, I was 2.9 and had the shakes.

Its a fairly complex subject, and few peoples symptoms are alike !

OP
OP
B

bianco

I am underweight, I've never been able to put weight on, ever.

According to one of those body fat things I'm less then 2% body fat.

Food Diary:

0700: 100g of Porridge cooked with semi skimmed milk & a large coffee
0715: A smidgin of toothpaste(Colgate)
0830 (At work): Glaced Cherry Scone
1000(Shaking at this point): Large tuna mayo sandwhich
1200(Starting to feel funny in the legs): Portion of Brocolli & Cauliflour Past with 4 new potatoes

A medium(300ml) glass of cool water in between each meal and with each meal and toilet visit every 45 minutes.

Next update at dinner time

ChrisKH

Guru
Definitely something amiss there. You shouldn't need to go to the toilet every 45 minutes (although everyone is different). I would probably have replaced the scone with a 2nd bowl of high fibre cereal/porridge, yoghurt and a banana and wouldn't have eaten before 1-2 pm. I don't think I could squeeze the amount you eat into the same time without making myself sick. And I'm around the 13 stone mark.

LLB

When the body is making a reduced amount of insulin or is insulin resistant, the glucose is either converted to fat or is passed through the kidneys.

It is a well known phenomenon that some younger type 1 diabetic girls have been (foolishly) missing insulin injections to keep their weight down.

LLB

bianco said:
I am underweight, I've never been able to put weight on, ever.

According to one of those body fat things I'm less then 2% body fat.

Food Diary:

0700: 100g of Porridge cooked with semi skimmed milk & a large coffee
0715: A smidgin of toothpaste(Colgate)
0830 (At work): Glaced Cherry Scone
1000(Shaking at this point): Large tuna mayo sandwhich
1200(Starting to feel funny in the legs): Portion of Brocolli & Cauliflour Past with 4 new potatoes

A medium(300ml) glass of cool water in between each meal and with each meal and toilet visit every 45 minutes.

Next update at dinner time

whether you eat refined sugar products or natural sugars in fruit, or slow release carbs, you are taking in carbs. I am sensitive to fructose so I have to be a little bit careful when eating fruit, but some are sensitive to lactose as well. some people can be more tolerant to sucrose, its different for everyone.

Do the shakes stop 5 minutes after you eat ?

cupoftea

Ah I see what wrong in your diet.

Guinness and large doner kebabs :-)

Stop eating healthy all the time, find someone fat in your office and copy what their eating and drinking. Put on ½ a stone and see how you feel. This will take around a month to do.

100 gm of porridge is not very much. You're also drinking a large coffee.

You may be getting reactive hypoglycaemia. The coffee stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin than is necessary, clearing out all your blood sugar. The exercise lowers your blood sugar levels more, and the sugary scone further stimulates your pancreas.

You've also got no body fat, so no reserves to call on.

Knock the coffee on the head for a few days and eat more porridge, with a banana or some dried fruit. Have a few brazil nuts and a banana instead of the scone.

I'm interested that you've included the toothpaste, as it's immaterial. Are you a little obsessive about food in any way?

Let us know how you get on.

LLB

Twenty Inch said:
100 gm of porridge is not very much. You're also drinking a large coffee.

You may be getting reactive hypoglycaemia. The coffee stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin than is necessary, clearing out all your blood sugar. The exercise lowers your blood sugar levels more, and the sugary scone further stimulates your pancreas.

You've also got no body fat, so no reserves to call on.

Knock the coffee on the head for a few days and eat more porridge, with a banana or some dried fruit. Have a few brazil nuts and a banana instead of the scone.

I'm interested that you've included the toothpaste, as it's immaterial. Are you a little obsessive about food in any way?

Let us know how you get on.

I have a 30gms (dry) sachet of porridge every morning. This translates into an average size desert bowl of to goo.

Insulin doesn't clear out the sugar in the blood, it unlock the cell membrane allowing the glucose to pass into the cells and this is where the glucose goes.
One of the side effects of insulin resistance is lethargy as the cells cannot receive the glucose.

Coffee affects the body as increases adrenaline levels raises the blood pressure which is bad for diabetics, but that is it really.

Cinnamon is said to increase the bodys sensitivity to insulin where the resistance is the issue.

bazzadigz C+

classic sign of diabetes! my mum was like this several months before she collapsed and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (which went on to type 1). (she has gone (when diagnosed) from a 8st 40year old to a 18st 60year old!) My honest advice go to the DOCS NOW! even if its nothing serious then the peace of mind will serve you well!

Top Bottom