Low Calorie Snacks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
...that keep you full and satisfy that sweet sweet sugary desires that I have?

Anyone got any tips on snacks when trying to lose weight? Or even foods that keep you full for longer? I eat porridge (doesn't fill me up) and on a lunchtime have a big salad (doesn't fill me up). Fruit seems to make me hungrier. The only thing that fills the void is bread and know I need to lay off the old bread.

On an evening I crave sweet snacks - chocolate, ice cream etc. Any options people know about that I can substitute for (not rice cakes)?

I know I'm asking a lot but someone must have the magic secret??? :hungry:

si_c

Guru
I've not found a substitute, I just make sure I avoid going to the supermarket in the evening at all and have no snacks in the house.

We've always got fruit about, so an apple and a cup of tea can sometimes keep the cravings away for a short while:okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have the very same problem.
What I find helps is Apples cut into slices. I graze on those and it seems to keep the other temptations at bay, most of the time :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Banana
Carrot sticks
Apple/pear
Water

eat a larger portion of lean meat (turkey / chicken) and avoid red meat/processed meat and have fish instead of meat

as above just don’t have sweet stuff in the house
Avoid alcohol too
Personally, I go to the gym late to avoid snacking in the evening!

Last edited:

Skibird

...that keep you full and satisfy that sweet sweet sugary desires that I have?

Anyone got any tips on snacks when trying to lose weight? Or even foods that keep you full for longer? I eat porridge (doesn't fill me up) and on a lunchtime have a big salad (doesn't fill me up). Fruit seems to make me hungrier. The only thing that fills the void is bread and know I need to lay off the old bread.

On an evening I crave sweet snacks - chocolate, ice cream etc. Any options people know about that I can substitute for (not rice cakes)?

I know I'm asking a lot but someone must have the magic secret??? :hungry:
You shouldn't have to give up anything if you are eating in moderation, and if you are not eating enough now, you will just stop losing weight and quite possibly put more weight back on when you go back to normal.
What works for me: (5'3 petite, size 8, no idea about weight, just go by how clothes fit)
For breakfast, a BIG bowl of granola, with summer fruits (buy bags of frozen fruit from Lidl) and Soya milk
Lunch is a flapjack (I buy multiples from Home Bargains) & banana, maybe some nut's
Dinner is anything veggie from lasagne & chips, veggie burgers, potatoes, cabbage etc, noodles, half a french stick, basically whatever I want, but I don't over eat and stop when full.
I usually have some chocolate about 8pm or a pudding
At the weekend I add in a couple of glasses of wine (yes, just the 2 as I can't handle any more than that lol)
I am very rarely hungry in between meals and NEVER snack on biscuits etc
I cycle between 2-4 times a week, on average 20 miles each time and walk my dog every day

You have to find what works for you but if you don't enjoy what your eating etc it won't last

I do eat quite a bit of meat so I think so but maybe I need to eat some nuts or something?
In GENERAL, it is protein and fats that satiate us humans. Nuts are great for both, as it happens.
(the drawback IMO is that they are far too convenient, so it's difficult to exercise self-control; raw carrots are much better in this respect!)

Of course fibre is very good - hence raw veg.

Mburton1993

I have Aldi penne pasta and their pasta sauce, carbohydrates get a bad rep but it's cheap, easy, nice and fills me up.

I also buy my food for the week and then stash my debit card at work, makes it harder to nip to the shops in the evening.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have Aldi penne pasta and their pasta sauce, carbohydrates get a bad rep but it's cheap, easy, nice and fills me up.

I also buy my food for the week and then stash my debit card at work, makes it harder to nip to the shops in the evening.
What about protein, fat, vitamins and minerals in your diet? You'll get little of that from pasta and a ready made sauce (you're probably getting quite a bit of sugar, salt and preservatives though). Make your own sauce from tinned tomatoes, fresh veg and some protein source ( be it meat, fish, pulses, beans etc)

byegad

Legendary Member
I tried dried apricots.

I can eat my 5 a day for three weeks in about an hour!

I also tried sugar free boiled sweets. Fantastic, but more than five and you can't make plans for the next day that don't involve being more than 10' of a toilet!

Top Bottom