low carb diet / weight loss / cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
Once you are out of your teens, it's virtually impossible to lose weight by exercise alone. You have to eat less; and usually, eat better. Concentrate on that.

I dissagree with this.

My BMR is 1500. I regularly eat 2000 when I don't ride to maintain.

When I commute, I burn 1600 riding, and eat BMR + 500 + 150.
When I 100 Audax, I burn 4000 riding, and eat BMR + 400 + 1500.
When I 200 Audax, I burn 8000 riding, and eat BMR + 200 + 4400.

I never eat less than my BMR plus 500 for everyday walking etc.

I exercise more, eat more and lose fat.

chigman

Hi

Seven months ago I was 20st 4 1/2lb and Im 5 10". I then went on the slimming world diet, it's not a calorie counting diet but it is healthy eating, and you needn't go hungry on that diet with it's free food and all that. I now weigh as of today 14st 12lb.:biggrin:

I also walk around 20 miles a week, cycle around 80 miles a week (at the moment) plus an hour a day on a cross trainer @ 2x half hour sessions. I am now at target and feel great for all the hard work. Now that I'm at my target weight, I hope to juggle things around a bit so that I cycle every other day and cross train on the in-between days. I also have an exercise bike just incase the weather takes a turn and I cant get out on the bike.;) Good luck.

Steve

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

I have tried the slimming world diet..perhaps its my willpower but I found it fairly easy to slip off this diet.
Ive been doing low carbs since monday and took a sneak peak on the scales this morning and happy with the interim results...granted the first loss is generally water..but I'm going to keep at it for at least July and monitor the results..havent been on the bike since I started..so tonight will have a light ride and see how it goes

ventoux50

rsvdaz said:
I guess what I need is a regime to help with my will power...

You need to adopt a SMART approach to setting your weight loss goal:

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time related (also Tangible)

have a look here :
http://www.topachievement.com/smart.html

Essentially, you have to decide what it is you want to achieve - if its 'simply' weight loss, then go down the route of millions of primarily focussed but ultimately disappointed slimmers - join weight watchers, use slimming pills etc.... the end result is always the same - yo yoing weight and dissatisfaction.

However, if you set yourself a physically attainable goal - e.g. complete a 100 m ile charity ride, or a 1 mile open water swim - the preparation for the event will result in ultimate weight loss . . . BUT you have to WANT to achieve your goal, anything entered into half heartedly is doomed to fail.

Apart from anything else, your own long term health benefits - proven by research - regular exercise and correct weight = healthier and longer life.

Sorry if this sounds a bit glib, I don't mean it to, but the simple equation ' calories expended > calories consumed = weight loss can't be argued with.

If you feel starved after a ride it might be because you aren't feeding properly during the ride, I suspect you go out and eat nothing, drink only water and when you stop your body needs feeding and tells you so ! The brain is programmed to ensure survival of the organism - it screams out for FOOD!

Try eating little and often DURING your ride - a banana half way through and an energy drink (PSP or something similar) and when you get back, have another banana and a cup of tea - focus on the goal you have set and steel yourself to resist pigging out - after a half hour or so the cravings should subside.

Good luck, let us know how you go on !

chigman

[LEFT][COLOR=red][U]rsvdaz[/U][/COLOR][/LEFT] said:
I have tried the slimming world diet..perhaps its my willpower but I found it fairly easy to slip off this diet.
Ive been doing low
carbs
since
monday
and took a sneak peak on the scales this morning and happy with the interim results...granted the first loss is generally water..but I'm going to keep at it for at least July and monitor the results..
havent
been on the bike since I started..so tonight will have a light ride and see how it goes

What i found with the slimming world diet is that I could get away with
alot
more goodies (sins) than the normal dieter's because of the amount of training that I was doing. Even when it came to dinners, I wouldn't always have what I should of been having if that makes sense, and I would still lose loads of weight. Sometimes I would lose more weight after eating way more sweets than I should have, its like the body was demanding sugar at times.

I only hit my target weight Monday gone, and my consultant at the class said that she had never known anyone to lose so much weight in such short a time, so I must of been doing something right, even if it was not always by the book.:biggrin: I will say though, I was very focused and will try to be for the future too. It's now a different ball game where as I have to maintain my weight now and not lose any more.:rolleyes:

Steve

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
I dissagree with this.

I exercise more, eat more and lose fat.
Yes, but you are hardly typical, Jimbo. First, you are the correct weight; second, you already exercise a lot and at high intensity.

The OP admits to being in a lardy state and in need of exercise. You get into a lardy state by long-term overeating and that is what he needs to change. Exercise will help him do that, but reducing his food intake is more important.

Fiona N

Veteran
What you need is a busy life combined with cycling. I find these combine to mean that I rarely feel hungry even if I'm not eating enough

(see https://www.cyclechat.net/)

If I don't have enough to do, I tend to spend more time planning meals and then, naturally, eating them :biggrin: leading to weight gain. I've recently become a local councillor and one completely unexpected side effect has been weight loss as I'm out so many evening now that I rarely get the chance to have a leisurely dinner other than at the weekends. I usually make sure I have a good healthy lunch (and breakfast) so missing a proper dinner isn't too bad nutritionally (and all you people who say missing meals is bad - it depends on the individual. If I ate small meals 6 times a day, I'd never get any work done and may even have to give up posting on the forum :smile:) and if I want a snack late in the evening I keep plenty of fruit about the place - easy at this time of year :sad:

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
Yes, but you are hardly typical, Jimbo. First, you are the correct weight; second, you already exercise a lot and at high intensity.

The OP admits to being in a lardy state and in need of exercise. You get into a lardy state by long-term overeating and that is what he needs to change. Exercise will help him do that, but reducing his food intake is more important.

What the OP hasn't said is "My weight was stable on my previous level of food intake".
If it was, increasing 'calories out' will tip the balance.

jimboalee

Fiona N said:
What you need is a busy life combined with cycling. I find these combine to mean that I rarely feel hungry even if I'm not eating enough

(see https://www.cyclechat.net/)

If I don't have enough to do, I tend to spend more time planning meals and then, naturally, eating them ;) leading to weight gain. I've recently become a local councillor and one completely unexpected side effect has been weight loss as I'm out so many evening now that I rarely get the chance to have a leisurely dinner other than at the weekends. I usually make sure I have a good healthy lunch (and breakfast) so missing a proper dinner isn't too bad nutritionally (and all you people who say missing meals is bad - it depends on the individual. If I ate small meals 6 times a day, I'd never get any work done and may even have to give up posting on the forum ;)) and if I want a snack late in the evening I keep plenty of fruit about the place - easy at this time of year :blush:

Do you take Vit supplements?

http://www.dietwords.com/hormones_2.shtml

Read down about Adrenaline.

Crankarm

Guru

(see http://www.cyclechat...ead.php?t=66115)

If I don't have enough to do, I tend to spend more time planning meals and then, naturally, eating them :biggrin: leading to weight gain. I've recently become a local councillor and one completely unexpected side effect has been weight loss as I'm out so many evening now that I rarely get the chance to have a leisurely dinner other than at the weekends. I usually make sure I have a good healthy lunch (and breakfast) so missing a proper dinner isn't too bad nutritionally (and all you people who say missing meals is bad - it depends on the individual. If I ate small meals 6 times a day, I'd never get any work done and may even have to give up posting on the forum :biggrin:) and if I want a snack late in the evening I keep plenty of fruit about the place - easy at this time of year :biggrin:

+1. More sense from Fiona.

I think the OP is still lazy. If you really really want to lose weight you eat healthily cut out ALL the crap and moderate your portions. But most importantly you exercise hard whether cycling, running, swimming or circuit training. You need to have a real hunger to burn calories by exercising hard then the self discipline not to fill your face with crap afterwards. All these fad diets are just that - fads. Get out on your bike or get your running shoes on and move your backside! Sorry to seem harsh but all this blethering is just weak excuses. People seem to think that just because they do a little bit of cycling say a paltry 10 miles then this is the green light to eat shed loads. No it isn't!!! These people are just using exercise as yet another prop to justify continuing to fill their faces and bellies. Get real, it ain't rocket science. If you do feel hunger pains then a tip is to drink water instead as often your body will actually be dehydrated as opposed to needing food for energy. Apart from this eat a balanced healthy diet. If you start riding or training like a Pro rider then maybe you can up your calorie intake, otherwise just eat healthily which doesn't include pizza, crisps, buns, biscuits or beer.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

thanks for that crankarm..but I do 50mile + cycle rides on a weekly basis and 20 mile commutes twice a weak

Crankarm

Guru
thanks for that crankarm..but I do 50mile + cycle rides on a weekly basis and 20 mile commutes twice a weak

90 miles. Could be more, much more. How do you approach these rides? Do you plod along or do you set yourself targets? Do you concentrate on cycling technique or just grind away in a high gear? What are you doing when you are not riding? Any other exercise - running or swimming? Hopefully not eating loads under the false impression that you need the energy for the bike rides? Quite frankly you should be able to manage those kind of distances on a normal diet. If you are feeling hungry then just drink water. Cut down your portion size. If you are riding 30-40 miles a day, 5/6 days a week, with an 80-100 mile sunday ride then maybe you need to eat a few more carbs. Also DON'T eat late at night or past 7-7:30pm. As Fiona wrote have a good breakfast and lunch. Not so crucial then if you miss dinner or have a very light supper as it ain't sitting in your belly as you splurge on the sofa or when you are in bed.

If it's any help I currently weigh in at 73kg am 5'8" - 5'9". I was cycling 25-30 miles a day back in march with an 80-85 mile sunday ride. However I decided to give up commuting on the roads by bike in the spring - too dangerous. So to fill this void I upped my running to 7-8 miles a day and still go for a long saturday and sunday ride. Had I still been cycling plus running 5-6 miles a day I would be down to 67-68kg now as my weight always drops in summer from about 74-75kg in winter. I suppose there is the turbo trainer, but these long evenings are so nice, one can get out and exercise more, the muscles aren't so lethargic, blood flows much more easily, the miles fly by. I am hoping to do a half marathon a few duathlons and then triathlon. But not commuting by bike anymore has kinda knocked that for 6 at the moment although I could do 30-40 miles rides in the evening now it is light til late. It was a real joy yesterday evening when I went out on my road bike, empty roads, quite literally, being in the zone 25-26-27mph on the flat spinning the cranks, nice warm side wind then 38mph when I turned and did a few sprints - the wind was helping behind me :sad: .

The Jogger

Legendary Member

(see http://www.cyclechat...ead.php?t=66115)

If I don't have enough to do, I tend to spend more time planning meals and then, naturally, eating them :rolleyes: leading to weight gain. I've recently become a local councillor and one completely unexpected side effect has been weight loss as I'm out so many evening now that I rarely get the chance to have a leisurely dinner other than at the weekends. I usually make sure I have a good healthy lunch (and breakfast) so missing a proper dinner isn't too bad nutritionally (and all you people who say missing meals is bad - it depends on the individual. If I ate small meals 6 times a day, I'd never get any work done and may even have to give up posting on the forum :dry:) and if I want a snack late in the evening I keep plenty of fruit about the place - easy at this time of year :huh:

+1. More sense from Fiona.

I think the OP is still lazy. If you really really want to lose weight you eat healthily cut out ALL the crap and moderate your portions. But most importantly you exercise hard whether cycling, running, swimming or circuit training. You need to have a real hunger to burn calories by exercising hard then the self discipline not to fill your face with crap afterwards. All these fad diets are just that - fads. Get out on your bike or get your running shoes on and move your backside! Sorry to seem harsh but all this blethering is just weak excuses. People seem to think that just because they do a little bit of cycling say a paltry 10 miles then this is the green light to eat shed loads. No it isn't!!! These people are just using exercise as yet another prop to justify continuing to fill their faces and bellies. Get real, it ain't rocket science. If you do feel hunger pains then a tip is to drink water instead as often your body will actually be dehydrated as opposed to needing food for energy. Apart from this eat a balanced healthy diet. If you start riding or training like a Pro rider then maybe you can up your calorie intake, otherwise just eat healthily which doesn't include pizza, crisps, buns, biscuits or beer.

Hard facts which some people don't want to hear but good advice!

Manonabike

Über Member
Well, for the last 5 weeks I have kept away from carbs and my diet has been heavily based on protein from fish, meat, eggs, etc and vegetables in the form of salads and some fruits.

My cycling has continue without any interruptions and I feel great :biggrin:..... yesterday I jumped on the scales after 5 weeks and I was happy that my low carb diet + 150mls of cycling a week, including a 60 - 80 mls on a single ride at the weekend, have contributed to me losing 11 kilos.

One thing I have discovered about my diet over the last few weeks is that when I first started doing more miles I read in here that one should be eating every 30 minutes or so..... however, I think that advise is fine for somebody that is not trying to lose any weight. For people, like me, that have their own built in storage of energy :biggrin: eating every 30 minutes only makes losing weight harder. I can now go out in the morning for a 6 hour ride do 80 miles and eat only 4 jelly beans without having any problems..... I have built the number of miles, without food, gradually and it seems to work for me. What is more important, when I return home I don't over eat as I just don't feel like over eating at all.

So, after my 5 weeks experiment, I have to disagree with the people that said a low carb diet would make you feel weak, terrible, etc. I think one has to educate the body gradually and then a low carb diet works quite well.

Top Bottom