1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low cost folding tandem on the train

Discussion in 'Tandem and Other Bikes' started by johncantor, 4 Dec 2017.

1. johncantor

johncantor New Member

I recently wrote up our experience and modifications to an Ecosmo folding tandem. We took it to France on the train and had a great time.
    This might be of interest to some.
    http://foldingtandem.blogspot.co.uk/

classic33 likes this.
  2. Hi John. Thanks for posting this. I found it very interesting. I would like to get my partner Jannie on a tandem but she refuses point blank.

I dont know if this would help you standing the bike up. I use these stands from Rose bikes which attach to the wheels QR lever. They work so well that I have recently bought 4 for my bikes. Very well engineered and a good price. They take a minute to fit.

I like the fact that the crossbars are at different heights, it makes it look odd and thats a good thing.
    https://www.rosebikes.dk/article/rose-rastmaxx-qr-1-rear-mount-kickstand/aid:2671712

3. alicat

alicat Guru

Top job! It sounds like you have had fun adapting it.

How did you get across the channel?

4. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

They arn't bad bikes. I bought an Ecosmo folding bike not a tandem. Cheap as chips and does what it says on the tin.

Pale Rider and classic33 like this.
  5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

The fact it got the OP and partner across France fully loaded and towing is a good endorsement.

Paying thousands for a bike is no guarantee of quality.

I recall a thread on here a few years ago about some ludicrously expensive German 20" wheel tandem which had fallen apart under very light use.

What's worse, the manufacturer and retailer appeared to be very uninterested in sorting the problem.

Can't recall if we ever found out what happened, but the matter seemed to be heading for the county court.

welsh dragon likes this.
  6. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

Thanks for that @johncantor , an interesting read.