Low cost folding tandem on the train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hi John. Thanks for posting this. I found it very interesting. I would like to get my partner Jannie on a tandem but she refuses point blank.

I dont know if this would help you standing the bike up. I use these stands from Rose bikes which attach to the wheels QR lever. They work so well that I have recently bought 4 for my bikes. Very well engineered and a good price. They take a minute to fit.

I like the fact that the crossbars are at different heights, it makes it look odd and thats a good thing.
https://www.rosebikes.dk/article/rose-rastmaxx-qr-1-rear-mount-kickstand/aid:2671712

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They arn't bad bikes. I bought an Ecosmo folding bike not a tandem. Cheap as chips and does what it says on the tin.

The fact it got the OP and partner across France fully loaded and towing is a good endorsement.

Paying thousands for a bike is no guarantee of quality.

I recall a thread on here a few years ago about some ludicrously expensive German 20" wheel tandem which had fallen apart under very light use.

What's worse, the manufacturer and retailer appeared to be very uninterested in sorting the problem.

Can't recall if we ever found out what happened, but the matter seemed to be heading for the county court.

Bodhbh

Guru
I read somewhere small wheels and tandems don't really mix due to handling issues. As I've never ridden a tandem I can't see why - I guess it's not a problem?

chriscross1966

Über Member
I read somewhere small wheels and tandems don't really mix due to handling issues. As I've never ridden a tandem I can't see why - I guess it's not a problem?

I'd have thought that the quick steering and slightly twitchy nature of small-wheelers in general (and I speak as an owner of four Bropmtons and a Moulton Mini here) would make it a bit of a tough time for the stoker, at least the pilot feels like they have some control.... or possibly it's the other way round, the pilot gets tired quickly due to having to constantly correct the hunting behaviour of the front wheel with a much heavier bike....

I'd have thought that the quick steering and slightly twitchy nature of small-wheelers in general (and I speak as an owner of four Bropmtons and a Moulton Mini here) would make it a bit of a tough time for the stoker, at least the pilot feels like they have some control.... or possibly it's the other way round, the pilot gets tired quickly due to having to constantly correct the hunting behaviour of the front wheel with a much heavier bike....

We have a small wheeled Circe Helios and it's very stable. On a couple of recent icy days I opted to ride the helios, stokerless, for the commute in place of my hybrid because it feels so much more sure-footed!

Hi John. Thanks for posting this. I found it very interesting. I would like to get my partner Jannie on a tandem but she refuses point blank.

I dont know if this would help you standing the bike up. I use these stands from Rose bikes which attach to the wheels QR lever. They work so well that I have recently bought 4 for my bikes. Very well engineered and a good price. They take a minute to fit.

I like the fact that the crossbars are at different heights, it makes it look odd and thats a good thing.
https://www.rosebikes.dk/article/rose-rastmaxx-qr-1-rear-mount-kickstand/aid:2671712

Not sure if a Hase Pino would suit, I am thinking about one, high cost but I recently met some people who had done Canada E-W and California N-S on a Hase Pino plus pull along trolley. They got it all on the plane, apparently, as the Hase comes into two pieces. Need a longer test drive first.

OP
OP
johncantor

johncantor

Top job! It sounds like you have had fun adapting it.

How did you get across the channel?
We have only gone across on a ferry from Portsmouth or Plymouth to Normandy/Brittany. We were shocked though at the xtra charge for the little trailer. The trailer cost more than the Bike!! 2nd time, we dissmantled the trailer and strapped it to the bike to save that cost

Sixmile

Veteran
Great write up @johncantor I really enjoyed reading that. I hired a Circe Helios a few months ago and rode for a few days touring with with 6 y.o. as stoker and a 5 y.o. on a seat over the rear wheel. I've been really keen on buying a Helios as our own but they're just so expensive. The Ecosmo certainly is a lot cheaper and may be an option for us with a little tinkering. Thanks again and here's to many more trips for you guys!

Freda

@johncantor Hi John. I am looking to get one of these folding tandems. I have a knee problem, so find it difficult to get on and off our normal tandem. Would you know what is the height of the crossbar for the rear rider from the ground please ? Many thanks.

Top Bottom