Low-Dose Aspirin - Yay or Nay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Posted as a result of this BBC News article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18853597

For those of us in the 40+ age range is the risk of stomach bleeds caused by taking 75mg of aspirin daily outweighed by the reduced risks of some cancers?

I asked my GP the question recently and she wouldn't commit one way or the other.

What say you?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
why are you taking asprin daily?

TransientStates

Regular
I'm not offering advice but, from what I've been told in lectures, I personally would take a small dose of aspirin each day. However, if I had any conditions that contraindicated the use of aspirin then I may not take it. I guess it would depend on the condition and any other medication I were taking. As I don't (yet) then I believe (for me) that the very small risks associated with prolonged aspirin use are far outweighed by the benefits. But remember, I'm talking about myself and the informed decision I made. I am not advising you either way.

TransientStates

Regular
Also, given my family history of certain cancers, the benefit to me is likely to be higher than the general population. However, if that history was different then my decision may be different. It's about the risk:benefit ratio. For me the (unproven) benefit outweighs the risk.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I asked my GP the question recently and she wouldn't commit one way or the other.

What say you?

Your medical practitioner felt unable to answer your question so you are seeking the advice of unqualified strangers?

Stick to doing your extensive research and make an informed decision. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
why are you taking asprin daily?

I'm not, but am considering taking it as a prophylactic.

I have to take one now, but i only ever take tabs if prescribed by the doc.

I sort of agree, but there are numerous over the counter drugs available that many people take without prescriptions (paracetamol, anti-histamine, glucosamine....the list is virtually endless). There's no official guidance about aspirin (that I'm aware of) and I suspect that most GPs will be unwilling to recommend the use of aspirin as a prophylatic in the absence of this. The powers that be seem to be a little slow with official comments, given the amount of media coverage of the apparent benefits.

I take 75mg per day as well as beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, anti-platelets, statins and something to make my arteries more supple.
Had a heart stack at 30 and a stent in earlier this year.
As soon as I am off the major drugs I am upping my aspirin to 150mg then 300 daily.
Anything to Help the ticker as well as reduce the potential for cancer .

Oh, plenty stock of gaviscon extra tablets.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Your medical practitioner felt unable to answer your question so you are seeking the advice of unqualified strangers?

Stick to doing your extensive research and make an informed decision. :thumbsup:

Again. point taken. I've frequented internet forums long enough to know that the correct answer to medical queries is 'seek professional advice', but I'm not really seeking advice here, just throwing the subject out to see what people think. Subtle difference?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Again. point taken. I've frequented internet forums long enough to know that the correct answer to medical queries is 'seek professional advice', but I'm not really seeking advice here, just throwing the subject out to see what people think. Subtle difference?

There's a whole world of difference between thinking and knowing...

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I take it, in soluble form, I also squeeze a lemon into a cup and take that every day, helps with acid reflux, which I very occasionally get, also has lots of other health benefits.

D

Deleted member 1258

Angina in 2008, 4 stents put in, problems with blood pressure and cholesterol, my doctor has me on symvastatin and low dose aspirin to control my cholesterol and reduce my chances of having a heart attack.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I took aspirin as a self-prescribed blood thinner when I started to worry for some reason that now escapes me about heart attacks. The effect was my Oesophagus got slightly ulcerous which was quite unpleasant. So for me, no.

Top Bottom