Low HR but achey legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I'm starting to take my training a bit more seriously and rather than cycle just for general fitness, I m trying to achieve some real cycling strength.

I recently went on a 50m bike ride and noticed that even though I was not fatigued at all, was not breathless, my HR was quite law 125/137, but my legs were building lactic acid and starting to feel heavy and ache. And could not go fast at all even in the lowest gear. It's lime my leg muscles were fatigue but my HR was happy! Really strange!!

What's happening and how can I get my HR to raise?

I have lost two stones since starting training regularly last year, I am now on a healthy zone, and I have been told that loosing all that weight had an impact on my muscle mass?

Could I do hill sessions just like running to help me build the muscle (as bigger rider / bigger muscles or am I wrong?)
I m really 'desperate' to improve, Im not petite so I should have the potential to cycle at a decent speed?

Thanks all :smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm not sure about the HR and lactate, it sounds like a bit of an off day (fwiw: my hr was sky high today but legs were churning out close to 30mph with relative ease) There may be another explantion,and probably is but my head is shutting down for the night.

Weight loss: It will have yes. In order to maintain mass it requires use, and sufficient calorie intake. It is a bit of a fine balance, but generally it will happen to everyone, some to more extremes than others. There's no real way to quantify how much of the loss was muscle mass or fat mass,particularly if you didn't have a bf% test done prior.

I'm not sure what your aim is regarding leg muscle,and I'm sure you're aware that the limiter is ultimately CV fitness,gained by stressing the CV system. With that, hill repeats won't do any harm at all.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Thanks again for your replies.

When I joined a 'posh gym:rolleyes: two years ago I did have a test done that calculated everything and gave me a 14 pages wellness assessment with body fat % and fat weight, lean mass % and lean mass weight, Water % ... I'd love to do that test again but wouldnt know where (as not member any more)

Another questions are those scales that say they give all that info any good??

This year I will be doing Olympics and Im mainly training for the Scotland Coast to Coast where 80% will be cycling off and on road. There is a cut off time so I must get to the last check point in time.
Next year I will be doing an Half IM, actually if I m lucky enough I might do it this year as I entered a competition :tongue: for a place.

Top Bottom