Low morning sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I know this is a bit of an annual topic, but if this is your first year of Autumn commuting please be aware of the dangers of low sun in the morning.

This morning i had an articulated lorry turn right across my path when i was about 50 yards away. Wasn't until i got to the next junction and saw the drivers peering under their hands that i realised he probably hadn't seen me as the sun was behind me.

I think the fact that i was wearing hi-viz probably made it worse as i blended in to the general glare.

mattybain

upsidedown said:
I know this is a bit of an annual topic, but if this is your first year of Autumn commuting please be aware of the dangers of low sun in the morning.

This morning i had an articulated lorry turn right across my path when i was about 50 yards away. Wasn't until i got to the next junction and saw the drivers peering under their hands that i realised he probably hadn't seen me as the sun was behind me.

I think the fact that i was wearing hi-viz probably made it worse as i blended in to the general glare.

Sun? what's that then?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
upsidedown said:

Really good post!!

I noticed this myself today as well coming across clapham common and felt quite "invisible" to people pulling out from Junctions in particular.

Also, Indicators etc dont show up at all well when the sun is either behind or in fornt of you, so be aware of cars stopping or pulling out with out appearing to indicate.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
also noticed this today... sun was very low and was a bleedin' nightmare.
I turned a corner and nearly blinded myself...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its one of the reasons I use lights in the daylight - at this time of year (despite kind helpful friends pointing out that I've left them on if I stop to have a quick chat with them).

Velorum

Ive only been hit once.

White van at approx 50 mph from behind on country road. Low bright sun in drivers eyes. Winged me and knocked me through a hedge - as I sailed through the air I thought that I was dead! When I came to and saw the driver I thought that he was going to expire - Ive never seen anyone so shocked and pale in my life!

Fortunately, got away with a badly bruised right arm - strapped up and 2 weeks off work.

I am very wary now of similar conditions.

Top Bottom