Low sun warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To anyone on their first season of commuting, this time of year (around the equinox) is when the sun appears low in the sky, on an East-West axis, during normal commute hours.
If you ride on an E-W road, into a low sun, be aware that cars behind you have very poor visibility and no amount of fluorescent green or bright lighting can compare with thermonuclear fusion.
Similarly, cars coming towards you into the sun can't see you, so be alert for right hand turns.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
To anyone on their first season of commuting, this time of year (around the equinox) is when the sun appears low in the sky, on an East-West axis, during normal commute hours.
If you ride on an E-W road, into a low sun, be aware that cars behind you have very poor visibility and no amount of fluorescent green or bright lighting can compare with thermonuclear fusion.
Similarly, cars coming towards you into the sun can't see you, so be alert for right hand turns.
Good advice. I get very nervous in the low sun and can't wait to get into some shade so I am more visible.

sidevalve

Über Member
Remember the same applies to riders too. It's easy to miss a pothole, patch of nice wet slippery leaves [of which there will be more and more now] etc, with the sun directly in your eyes

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One advantage for using feck off bright lights.

About 3 years ago I saw two cyclists knocked off at the same junction on consecutive days due to drivers not double checking before turning with low sun.

Flashing lights are good this time of year even if it is otherwise light enough. And I think dark/black clothes are also better than standard issue cyclist yellow/green as it provides more contrast against the sun.

Top Bottom