Low Winter Sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I came out from the shade of some tall trees and it hit me right in the face completely blinded for a few seconds (Despite having reactolite glasses on)I literally couldnt even see the pavement next to me for a moment.Luckilly only going slow at the time but on quite a busy 40mph road.

Did the rest of the ride home on the pavement (slow enough to stop as the rare pedestrian went by) .Just not worth the risk IMHO.

Yup, had to crawl down my favourite downhill today, just about had to navigate by memory...... not much fun

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I came out from the shade of some tall trees and it hit me right in the face completely blinded for a few seconds (Despite having reactolite glasses on)I literally couldnt even see the pavement next to me for a moment.Luckilly only going slow at the time but on quite a busy 40mph road.

Did the rest of the ride home on the pavement (slow enough to stop as the rare pedestrian went by) .Just not worth the risk IMHO.

The most worrying thing about riding towards low winter sun is if drivers coming up behind you can see you. Especially if they a pre-occupied with their mobile phones or chatting to someone in the car.

buggi

Bird Saviour
The most worrying thing about riding towards low winter sun is if drivers coming up behind you can see you. Especially if they a pre-occupied with their mobile phones or chatting to someone in the car.
that's the reason i always have my flashing lights on in the day, especially in winter and especially the rear one

I drove Mrs Salad to the local Minor Injuries Unit today (to have a wound re-dressed), and on the way back there was a stretch of urban road with the sun right in my eyes. I crawled along at about 15 mph, in case anyone/anything drove/jumped out in front of me......

It was horrible.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Tip for this time of the year with a low sun...

Your shadow points to those that cant see you because of the low sun.
Shadow to front- expect people to pullout of side roads
Shadow to the rear- ...Hope you have a bright rear light to help you stand out!

Last edited:

nappadang

Über Member
I was going to start a thread on the same subject. I was worried for my safety today. Absolutely blinded on a couple of occasions, on being a two mile straight stretch of road. I guess the cars coming up behind me must have been experiencing the same.
Aside from this, I came home with a head ache which I assume was caused by the low sun shining between tree trunks. This had an almost strobe light effect and really knocked me for six.
I love the sun but today I could have done without it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I get that strobe effect, as well I often arrive home with a terrible headache and can feel quite ill.

sheddy

Legendary Member
and when motorists have their sunvisors down - they can't see nowt.
If you have lights, then now is the time to switch em on....

Top Bottom