Low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...alcohol and AD pills do not mix.Stop the drinking and keep taking the pills for a while.... Alcohol is a depressant, not a pick me up.......

Yeah understand that,cutting the alcohol consumption down, about half what it was but still too much, Zero is the aim.

Counselling this morning, acupuncture tomorrow, wonder if the acupuncturist will open up me old ear piercing for me ?

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...Some peeps drink for a reason...maybe the counselling will help with that....but beer is not as good a friend as it would have you believe.

Started to all go downhill about 2yrs ago as my marriage started to collapse.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Chuffy said:
Anyway, the old forum was a huge help for me, the support (even if people didn't necessarily realise that's what it was) made a big difference.

Agree with that. If no-one had responded (and you've all lifted me up, virtual friends) or even read my OP it just made me feel better typing it down.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

bonj said:
what are beta blockers like by the way if you don't, well, 'need' them?

They slow your heart rate down, helping you to relax better, one of the side effects is that you don't jump up off the settee and run up stairs to the loo or you go all dizzy / blackout.

bonj2

So what's your heartrate if you don't take them then? And what other effects does having a too high heartrate have?

bonj2

no but if he's depressed then cycling would probably go a long way to alleviating it. So if he only can't cycle because he has blackouts and they're due to the beta blockers then surely that's got to be a serious disadvantage of beta blockers...

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

bonj said:
no but if he's depressed then cycling would probably go a long way to alleviating it. So if he only can't cycle because he has blackouts and they're due to the beta blockers then surely that's got to be a serious disadvantage of beta blockers...

I'm on them for anxiety attacks = you worry about things that more than likely will not happen, your heart rate goes up through the roof, blood pressure goes up, you start sweating like a pig (do pigs sweat ??) and then you start shaking. You then need to find a quiet corner to sit down and wind yourself back down.

With beta-blockers they moderate or block your heart from racing, I can still feel the attacks coming on but all the physical symptoms are under control.

Down side for me is as mentioned you can't move to fast from a prone position as the blood takes its time getting back up to your head and cold extremities, feet, hands.

bonj2

Elmer Fudd said:
I'm on them for anxiety attacks = you worry about things that more than likely will not happen, your heart rate goes up through the roof, blood pressure goes up, you start sweating like a pig (do pigs sweat ??) and then you start shaking. You then need to find a quiet corner to sit down and wind yourself back down.
NOt being funny like or wanting to belittle it, but ... can you not train yourself to be more rational in these types of situation? What sort of things do you worry will happen that probably won't? Sorry if i'm delving too deeply into it, don't answer if I am.
Again, not wanting to be presumptious, but i've been 'a bit funny' in the past so do vaguely know about that sort of thing (and i'm certainly not taking the piss), although my 'thing' was probably different to yours.

Elmer Fudd said:
With beta-blockers they moderate or block your heart from racing, I can still feel the attacks coming on but all the physical symptoms are under control.
Like I say, if you could learn to control it while you're on them, and then come off them. That might be easier said than done but it can be done.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

bonj said:
Like I say, if you could learn to control it while you're on them, and then come off them. That might be easier said than done but it can be done.

Don't think you're takin the pith bonj, no I don't really want to expand on the reasons,yes I do want to be off them, hence the councilling to help me recognise situations that wind me up and methods of controlling the said winding up.

It's not a life choice m8, just one of those things that happen to some people, usually through a stressful period of their lives, so I'm told.

BTW using "map my ride" I've worked out a nice little route where I don't need to go near a road so gonna give it a try tomorrow a.m.

postman

Legendary Member
Elmer-great that you can share your problems on here with fellow cyclists.Also cyclists with the same problems.So here is a little of my advice 1987 i got dumped by my wife lost every thing ,detached house two kids because i worked too hard.Crap job but great money when you did overtime.At 36 had to go back to live with my mother inmy old council house in my old bedroom.Hit the booze hit the whisky.Then one night totally pissed threw up coming home and fell over and rolled in it.Had to do something to fill the time took up cycling.Used to ride to Knaresbrough in the end the bike new it's own way there.Cycling gives you a buzz get's you fitter gets you out .Take it easy and get out when you can.Good luck and keep posting we will be reading twenty years ago i did it on my own.People are only a finger tip away now.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

postman said:
Elmer-great that you can share your problems on here with fellow cyclists.Also cyclists with the same problems.So here is a little of my advice 1987 i got dumped by my wife lost every thing ,detached house two kids because i worked too hard.Crap job but great money when you did overtime.At 36 had to go back to live with my mother inmy old council house in my old bedroom.Hit the booze hit the whisky.Then one night totally pissed threw up coming home and fell over and rolled in it.Had to do something to fill the time took up cycling.Used to ride to Knaresbrough in the end the bike new it's own way there.Cycling gives you a buzz get's you fitter gets you out .Take it easy and get out when you can.Good luck and keep posting we will be reading twenty years ago i did it on my own.People are only a finger tip away now.

You've all touched me, a big THANKS !
(as someone else has said it's hard for your partner to understand what you're going through and she does get pee'd off sometimes as I do tend to repeat myself !)

Top Bottom