Lower Immune System due to cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Well done on the weight loss - seems like a lot to lose in such a short space of time, could it be that your body's struggling to catch up with the changes leaving it susceptible to minor afflictions?

I've gone from 20st in Oct 2008 to my current weight of 14.5st at a steady rate, similar thing to you - cycling just under 10 miles a day on my commute and calorie controlled diet. I have found that I feel the cold a lot more but I've rarely been ill since having a healthier lifestyle. I've got used to feeling really well, so much so that a the cold I've just had really hit me as I can't remember feeling as bad as I did! Then I remembered that I used to feel like that quite a lot when I was a fatty-fat-fatty.

OP
OP
B

Bayerd

Über Member
ColinJ said:
It is actually - tomorrow - and it hadn't escaped my notice that you are local! :smile: You'd be welcome to join us and it will definitely be done at a leisurely pace with a good cafe stop. As you know though, it is pretty hilly in our neck of the woods so even going slowly we will have to make efforts on the climbs.

A bit too short notice this time, however I'd like to make the next one.

I'm probably too slow though.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bayerd said:
A bit too short notice this time, however I'd like to make the next one.

I'm probably too slow though.....
Watch this space then! Well, not this particular thread - the CycleChat Calendar would be a good place to look.

As for too slow... I reckon I'll be taking about 30-35 minutes to ride up the Keighley Road to Cock Hill tomorrow (about 4 miles) so I'll be doing less than 8 mph.

Overall we will probably only average 10-11 mph including stops. That's pretty slow!

OP
OP
B

Bayerd

Über Member
ColinJ said:
Watch this space then! Well, not this particular thread - the CycleChat Calendar would be a good place to look.

As for too slow... I reckon I'll be taking about 30-35 minutes to ride up the Keighley Road to Cock Hill tomorrow (about 4 miles) so I'll be doing less than 8 mph.

Overall we will probably only average 10-11 mph including stops. That's pretty slow!

That's good to know, I could probably manage that, although the furthest I've been is 27 miles with an average of 13ish mph on similar hills to the HB area. I just don't want to commit then find I'm either a) holding others up, or ;) left on me todd...

Albert

Über Member
(I think?)I was the fittest I have been for a number of years going in to this winter. I trained for a decent summer mix of Sportives and general riding over longish (100km) distances which, when the time came, I coped with easily. Come winter I caught Pneumonia and was hospitalised. Immune system low from too much training? Bad luck? Who knows?

Hont

Guru
PK99 said:
One of the reasons I've seen given for the use of recovery drinks after training is that, while in the longer term cycling improves the immune system, immediately after effort the immune system in stressed/supressed. the article i saw specifically refereed to commuting into a bug filled office

+1. Might be a coincidence but since I started using Rego after EVERY ride I've had far fewer colds. Even when the wife has gone down with one I've fought it off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I asked my GP (who is into sports medicine) to carry out a thorough investigation into why I always seem to get chest infections in the Autumn. After loads of tests he pronounced me to be in rude good health but did ask if I was eating a good enough diet. He also mentioned that he and his running pals seem to gets lots of chest problems in the Autumn because there are lots of new viruses "on the market" as people get back from holidays and kids return to school. Interesting thought.

Top Bottom