Lower leg discomfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

When you're pushing hard, which part of you starts to ache first? I always assumed it would be the thigh muscles, but with me, its always the lower leg (general shin area) that starts to ache.

Could it be anything to do with my saddle height / riding position?

Cheers!

Norm

ShinSplint said:
Could it be anything to do with my saddle height / riding position?
I think it's more down to your user name. :biggrin:

What sort of bike and what sort of riding? Do you use your ankles much? With me, it's definitely the thigh muscles on a road bike.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Norm said:
I think it's more down to your user name. :biggrin:

What sort of bike and what sort of riding? Do you use your ankles much? With me, it's definitely the thigh muscles on a road bike.

:biggrin: I knew someone would mention that 'splints.

I don't think its anything like that, as its the full general area, not just a specific area like I developed through running.

Lately i've been concentrating on using my thigh muscles to relieve stress on the shins. Seems to help a bit. I generally like to take advantage of the clipless pedals and pull/push the pedals all the way round. This pulling motion doesnt help my lower legs.

Its a Ribble carbon sportive. The problem is usually more noticeable on my commute, which is a relatively flat, fast 10 miler. If im just pottering along im fine, but its boring :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Dayvo said:
:biggrin:

Might have something to do with the position of your cleats: too far back/forward, possibly.

Also your saddle may be too far forward/back/low.

I seem to be forever changing my saddle position, as im always getting upper back / neck pain. At the moment the saddle is at its forward-most position, so i'll try setting it back a little.

Good point on the cleats as well, i'll look at that.

Cheers

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ShinSplint said:
I seem to be forever changing my saddle position, as im always getting upper back / neck pain. At the moment the saddle is at its forward-most position, so i'll try setting it back a little.

Good point on the cleats as well, i'll look at that.

Cheers

It is possible that you're too low and pushing too high a gear.
In terms of bike set-up this article is about as good as it gets...

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Top Bottom