lowering Shimano 105 gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hello all, I have a fantastic Specialized bike with a Shimano 105 9 speed setup but the previous owner put on a high gearing on it. It has a front cog setup of 30/42/52.....rear is 25 downwards....... I know I can put a 28 cog at front instead of 30 but can the back set be dropped to say 34T downwards....?

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Putting a 28t inner on the front won't make much difference, it's on the rear you'll really notice it. I'd go for a 30 or 32t sprocket on the back. Believe me, five extra teeth on the largest rear sprocket will make a massive difference.

Being a triple it should haver a long cage rear mech already.

My 9 speed triple ring bikes, all came with quite a long cage, certainly long enough to cope with a 30 tooth big sprocket out back. The only issue was that the chains were typically 112 link, and they were very close to maxed out on a 30t sprocket. That said, with a triple up front, I've not found any inclines that warrant more than 28 teeth.

the snail

Guru
M...a long cage, certainly long enough to cope with a 30 tooth big sprocket ..
Long cage (or rather medium cage like GS) gives a bigger capacity (difference in teeth between large/small rings and sprockets), but it doesn't automatically mean that it will take a larger sprocket than a short cage mech. e.g. 5700 RM, SS will take 30T, GS 28T (according to Shimano)

Long cage (or rather medium cage like GS) gives a bigger capacity (difference in teeth between large/small rings and sprockets), but it doesn't automatically mean that it will take a larger sprocket than a short cage mech. e.g. 5700 RM, SS will take 30T, GS 28T (according to Shimano)
Trial and error soon sorts out the issues

Top Bottom