Lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

I have recently picked up my first road bike - 2007 giant scr2.

the chain looks like it has been over oiled - it loks quite gungy.

so two things

1. do i need to or how should i clean off the chain.

2. what do i lube the chain with if anything - someone at the club said he doesnt oil his just uses teflon coating??

help lol

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Do one of two things first.

Either buy a new chain and cassette and start from afresh

Or clean it all up properly, cogs as well, and then use a lube like white lightening. a bit of an arse cos you have to apply it every time you ride, but it's so much better than oil......

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

would a lube like this be good??

and what should i clean the chain with??

im gonna be spending alot of my savings on the accesories and so dont think i can afford a new chain and cassette.

actually how much do you recon that would cost, the bike currently has shimano tiagra throughout

zimzum42

Legendary Member
That's the kind of thing, I just prefer the White Lightening stuff, but it's all much of a muchness

Chris James

Über Member
Yes, as long as it doesn't rain!

Interesting that it says it is is an all weather lube, whihc begs the question why do Finish Line also make their wet lube?

IMO, a bit of gunk on the chain doesn't matter too much. Just wipe it off with a rag. You can spend your life trying to keep your chain clean.

YOu can do a better job of cleaning your chain with degreasers but then you will also strip out some of the internal lube (where the chain actually needs it). Whether you think this is a good idea depends on how much confidence you have that relubing the chain after cleaning it will get lube right to the innards.

Lots of lubes work okay, but not all of them withstand the wet and not all of them last very long. In my experience the gunkier ones last longer but are dirtier. The cleaner ones need regular applying.

There are loads of threads on here about chain cleaning. If you use the search function you will find that everyone has different ideas!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Young Un said:
actually how much do you recon that would cost, the bike currently has shimano tiagra throughout
Tiagra chains and cassettes are on offer at probikekit at the moment - chains are in the region of £7, and cassettes about £11, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom