Moter oil as chain lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Is it OK to use Synthetic moter oil as bike chain lube ?

Motor oil I should have said

Big John

Guru
I'm not suggesting one oil or another oil but I do know that some of the bikes we get in for a service at the bike charity I work for have been religiously lubed with sump oil. Let's just say it's the blackest, thickest coating of gunk you could wish for. It takes an absolute age to remove and everything else on the bike (chainrings, cassette, front mech, rear mech and so on) is gunged up too. It even gets in the freehub on the rear hub and stops the pawls from releasing. This has to be shifted before we can even work on it. If it was up to me I'd refuse to accept the bike for service but we're a charity and we take on any old crap. I don't oil mine but I do occasionally drop a few drops of 3 in 1 oil on the chain and wipe with a cloth. I use GT85 most of the time and wipe off any excess. Seems to work.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I used motor oil for years. If you soak a rag with it and then run the chain through the rag it'll leave a thin coating on said chain. Go for a couple rides and then wipe the chain again with a dry rag.
It will attract muck and dirt etc but then so does specific bike oil. It'll be fine :thumbsup:

I still do - surprised your dad hasn’t noticed by now :-)

Never a problem - I always made sure there was enough 3-in-one available as he used to ride a bike when he was a kid - and in the RAF - because he knew how things work
(although I suspect that the oil used on the RAF bikes was in many ways similar to that used on Halifax bombers for some reason!!!)

anyway - I doubt he would notice nowadays as we cremated him about 14 years ago
(note - he was dead at the time - the doctors said so!!!!)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
we cremated him

Did you use 3 in 1?😳

presta

Guru
I used engine oil for decades, the only reason I changed was that I was looking for a bottle that I could put in the pannier when I'm touring. When Finish Line bottles proved to be reliably leak proof, I stuck with them.

Top Bottom