Lubing chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Orange

Never oiled, lubed or otherwise lubricated a bike of mine in 40 years.

D

Deleted member 1258

This is one of those topics that is always down to personal choice. Like you I have tried them both but prefer the dry. :biggrin:

I'm old fashioned, I like to see some oil on the chain. :biggrin:

Furkz

Über Member
i like to use wet lube, she tends to like it and its cheap. Parkers do the finish line at £2.75 and Evans price match.
BUT when i used to ride as a youth i never used anything ever in about 10 years of riding and hardly even washed the bike, well not until the mud weighed more than the bike and it worked fine.

JohnTCC

Allirog, on 24 July 2011 - 07:04:09, said:My chain loves a regular dousing in WD40.

Sorry.I'll amend that inflammatory statement to;My chain loves a regular spray with a well known,bargain basement,silicone free H2o repellent lubricant of British manufacture.

so you use GT85 then

JohnTCC :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumbsup:

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Depending on how far I've gone and whether it's rained and left muddy crap all over my bike, once every 7 - 14 days.

I love cleaning my bike, bit of bonding and that.

twobiker

I was told by my LBS that my chain needed replacing as I had lubed it to much .
sad.gif

david1701

when I wash it? tends to be every few weeks though I ought to do it every week along with a bit of a fettle (not when it gets so loud it pisses me off)

Bicycle

PANTS REPLY ALERT!!

It seems to depend on mileage and road conditions.

Wet weather gets things grinding away and making unhealthy noises much more quickly.

High miles also encourage regular lubing, but not as much as poor weather.

However, I do not lube at anything like weekly intervals. I don't think I've ever done it at less than a 3-week interval.

I clean the transmission with one of those fluid-filled 'Brushes-in-a-Box' toys that clip onto the rear derailleur. I use diesel oil in that.

Then I dry it (sometinmes wash it and then dry it), leave it overnight and lube it sparingly with whichever brand I happen to have.

Then I wipe all the lube off the outside and it's done.

One of the (many) joys of fixies is that they are so absurdly easy to maintain.

I use the same method for fixed and free-wheel, but clean and lube the fixie much less. I have no logical reason for caring for it less; I think I just assume that it has so few scary parts that it must be fine.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
depends on the weather, dry not so much, rainy and wet, often. i use some fancy shoot i got from blazing saddles in hebden bridge. it's really really thin and clear, came with a syringe type bottle for exact placement in awkward parts like brake pivots. dead useful for putting just the right amount down the side of the rollers, the plates stay clean then.

Top Bottom