Lucky escape!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I cycle pretty much the same route every morning, and have done so for a few years, so in total I've cycled down the same road well over 1,000 times.

This morning, for the first time ever, I decide to turn off a side road a few meters and stop to admire the view... It's quite high and the sun was just peeking past some threatening looking rain clouds over Bristol. All in all, a pleasant early autumn view. I'm not really "into" views especially, so it's very very rare for me to stop an admire one, and as I say, I've never stopped to do so on my morning commute before.

So, I turn down a side road and stop. Go to unclip, and unknown to me, a bolt has fallen out of my cleat, so I twist my foot and nothing happens as my cleat doesn't twist with my shoe. I'm so used to clipless pedals, that as I was falling to the pavement it felt like something had gone wrong with the physics of the Universe! Anyway, I fall to the pavement, and flounder around a little trying to disconnect myself from the bike (a big thank you to the cyclist who stopped to check I was okay!).

The point is, had I not decided to stop to look at the view, I would have stopped at the junction further down the road, which means I would have been unable to unclip right in the middle of a busy junction, possibly falling onto or in front of a car, and certainly having further to fall without a handy raised pavement.

Serves me right really for buying new shoes, and not rechecking the cleats after a few days. I'll be getting the Loctite out tonight, I also may buy a lottery ticket!

roger06

You've convinced me never to buy clip-in pedals!

earlestownflya

you've been very lucky..i've done the same not because of a loose bolt ,but because i was new to clipless..and did'nt supply the appropriate force to unclip...it certainly shakes you up...being down on the floor like that at my age just did'nt feel right:okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Same has happened to me once. I hadn't checked that the cleat bolts were tight and the cleat jammed. I didn't fall off, but I had quite a long ride ahead of me without the possibility of dismounting.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
Why didn't you just try the other foot?
It's a good question, but in the circumstances i think I'd have had difficulty too. My left foot is fully trained to unclip at the right moment without my intervention, it just happens, whereas I have to tell my right foot to unclip unless I'm dismounting.

504steve

First time I tried clipless, I should have checked the release tension was low enough, ( it wasn't ), before I cycled round the block and stopped in my garden next to a glass patio table !! Fortunately the glass was much stronger than I was imagining as I slowly fell sideways across the table. :eek:

OP
OP
adds21

adds21

Rider of bikes
Why didn't you just try the other foot?

Because by the time I'd realised what was happening, I was already falling to the side. I always unclip at the last possible moment (which, admittedly, may be an error!), so I'm generally stationary and already leaning when I unclip.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've posted this on here before but Gti Junior fitted some new cleats and didn't tighten the bolts enough. A few miles into the ride we stopped at a car park for a wazz and next thing I heard GtiJ calling out for help as he circled the car park in increasing distress, unable to unclip either side as the cleats were just rotating. Managed to field him and hold the bike while he got out of his shoes. 2 of the 3 bolts had gone and getting the cleats out was a nightmare. I had to cannibalise a bolt from each of my cleats to get the lad moving again. How we laughed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why use a fail safe design when you can use a fail unsafe one?

Confirms my belief that clipless pedals are the work of the devil.

Top Bottom