Lucky escape!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Why use a fail safe design when you can use a fail unsafe one?

Confirms my belief that clipless pedals are the work of the devil.

My ex-mrs exprssed similar sentiment when I fell in the river afrer failing to unclip. Well I was behind her and she stopped unexpectedly. It was a 10 on the 0-hillarious scale it must be admitted.

That said, I do prefer clipless to clips and straps as I find them easier / safer to clip on and out - abeit neither is entirely without hazzard - and I hate the "special shoes" thing despite being a bit of an Imelda generally

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
when I fell in the river afrer failing to unclip.
Sorry about your mishap, but that's just too funny! :laugh:

Tank63

Shouldn't have read this post! Just put Shimano peddles on my road bike having never used them before. Now sat here crapping myself!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why use a fail safe design when you can use a fail unsafe one?

Confirms my belief that clipless pedals are the work of the devil.
I had the same feeling when I saw inside the freehub of my Campagnolo Khamsins. Instead of 3 pawls with a reasonably strong spring each, why not use one skinny circlip-like spring to do all 3? Result ... when that spring fails, all drive is lost! Hopefully, you are not standing up and sprinting when that happens ... :whistle:

Shouldn't have read this post! Just put Shimano peddles on my road bike having never used them before. Now sat here crapping myself!
That's the wrong way to look at it. Think "Oh, I am glad that I read that - it is a reminder to make sure I do the bolts up nice and tight"! :okay:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've just returned to flats after my recent accident and have ridden about 300 miles in the last 2 weeks. I've really enjoyed it. I don't race bikes and have decided not to bother with clipless anymore. Luckily, I can use my touring shoes without cleats.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I made the mistake of not tightening SPD cleat bolts once and had the same kind of experience referred to in previous posts and a friend did on another occasion.

I make sure that the bolts are tight now and have not had the problem again, despite doing thousands of miles a year using SPD pedals/shoes.

So, as far as I am concerned it CAN BE a problem if you forget to tighten the bolts enough, but ISN'T if you don't!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cleat bolts need to be done up EFF-OFF tight, an old English engineering term, that. A bit of grease or Copaslip prevents them siezing.

Clip-in pedals are wonderful, they enable you to get a little bit of extra power down when you're racing for the pub.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've toppled over a couple of times over the years with clipless and clups/straps. That said, neither are difficult to manage in normal use and clipless (in my view) being significantly safer. Only fallen over with the later when stopping unexpectedly and that before I got used to em. Bear in mind we're talking about a slow topple whilst stationary, not an accident whilst moving - even the hillarious river incident. Do the screws up tight and you'll not have the OP's proble now you know about.

I did also have a hubris / nemesis moment trying to track stand on my new-that-day fixie - don't try and be a smarty pants is the moral that of course.

Do you use locktite on the threads or grease?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Do you use locktite on the threads or grease?

I used.l loctite - dunno if that's right thing though. Remember (a) there are many grades of loctite - the low strenght type needed here to stop screws shaking loose, up to high strenght never ever coming loose no matter waht which you don't want.

And (b) loctite and grease lubricate the threads whilst doing them up ao you can do 'em up tight enough, so they are not entitirely "opposite" options

OP
OP
adds21

adds21

Rider of bikes
Just to put this into perspective, I've ridden tens of thousands of miles with clipless pedals, and only ever had two falls. Both of which were caused by bolts falling off, so arguably my own fault for not checking them more often. I know they're not for everyone, and that's fine, but I'd hate to think my post would put anyone off trying them!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'll be getting the Loctite out tonight
You probably don't need Loctite. The reason the cleat screws loosened, is that the plastic sole compresses slightly for the first few days after the cleat is attached. Keep tightening/checking every few days for a week or two and all will be fine.

Top Bottom