Lug Lining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Greetings all, has anybody out there attempted to line their lugs? I've been trying and failing until now with an 00 artist brush and while its "OK" , its not as nice as I'd like. I know Nick at Lloyds does something for £100 but thats too much for me. A friend of mine mentioned a roller marker pen used by engineers , another mentioned a spirit pen, but thats as far as I've got.
I'd be most grateful for any thoughts/ideas

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Beta blockers, should stop the shaky hands...........

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
I should have known........ If only I could stop the heartbeat and the breathing for a few minutes I might be in with a chance.:ohmy: I tried a couple of bottles of Newcastle Brown, hand stopped shaking but couldn't focus..

Mr Phoebus

bobg said:
Greetings all, has anybody out there attempted to line their lugs?

Yes, took about 15mins to do the whole lot.
1fixDSCF0044.jpg

Just needs a steady hand.

Mr Phoebus

It also helps if you do that 'windscreen wiper' thing with your tongue on your bottom lip while doing it, helps steady your hand.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks Bagpuss, I havn't had a car since before spray tins were invented so I didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks for the pic Mr P, very impressive. Did you do yours with one of those pen stick thingies then? Pity you live along time ago in another galaxy or I'd pop over and get you to do mine. I mentioned it to my daughter yesterday evening ( who has a fine arts degree) and she said " yeah, piece of cake, easy peasey," then went home....

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Some interesting images here:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/taylor/thompson.html

Someone claims that these pens give good results:

http://markingpendepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=30

Got this too - looks interesting/promising

Mr Phoebus

bobg said:
Thanks for the pic Mr P, very impressive. Did you do yours with one of those pen stick thingies then?

:blush::eek::ohmy:

No way!!! A tin of bronze Hammerite and a pack of artists brushes from the pound shop.
If you lived by me, I'd do it for free for you, as long as the cups 'o' tea kept coming. :biggrin:

BTW, that geezer who's charging £100, that's disgusting. :ohmy::smile:!:ohmy:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Very nice of you, I'll ride over tomorrow;)
Wot bloke charging £100? did I miss something. Those pens are on sale in local art shops for £2.00 - quick drying enamel paint, fine line etc loads of colours. Even I, sans beta blockers etc., might be able to make a job of it.
I "hammerited" over a crap spray job last year - ended up with a very nice distressed/antique/crinkle finish Read instructions moi ! Thats only for girls:becool:

Mr Phoebus

Wot bloke charging £100?

bobg said:
Greetings all, has anybody out there attempted to line their lugs? I've been trying and failing until now with an 00 artist brush and while its "OK" , its not as nice as I'd like. I know Nick at Lloyds does something for £100 but thats too much for me. A friend of mine mentioned a roller marker pen used by engineers , another mentioned a spirit pen, but thats as far as I've got.
I'd be most grateful for any thoughts/ideas

That one, Mr B.
You've got to pick a pocket or two.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Poo, thats the first time that short term memory loss has been that short term! Ah yes, I remember now, I wrote it 10 minutes ago:ohmy::blush:
I was thinking in terms of a price charged to do the job rather that the cost of the tool used by frame builders which apparently what this is ( according to Nick )
Ah well, best go for a ride, now where did I put the bike .... have I got a bike..........

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'e never tried lug lining, but from painting ickle figures for models

like:

diorama002.jpg

I'd suggest a couple of things.

Try steadying your hand first, with a few strokes of the brush on a piece or scrap paper to try and get a fluid movement.

And don't force yourself to go on too long. If you find your hand shaking after two lugs, stop for a bit and go back to it later.

Also it can help to brace your wrist or forearm on something (another bit of the frame?), like artists do with a marl stick.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks Arch all ideas gratefully accepted. I'm better with a 6inch whitewash brush. Not breathing actually does help me but I cant do a whole lug without going puuufgh and messing it up.
Nice diarama ( if thats what they're called - cant resist asking what thats all about?? - mabe just needs a tiny effelump to finish it off - plans for a kite on your desk too :blush: what a diverse life you lead:biggrin:

Top Bottom