Lug lining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Since l have a strong masochistic streak ( and suspect this is not uncommon among cyclists) , l thought l would try my hand at "lug lining" . I bought a small tin of Humbrol enamel paint and a funny looking pen and have just spent an hour of my life trying to apply a thin red line round an uncooperative lug.
Without an enormous amount of success .
Can anyone give me constructive advice on how to achieve my desired aim to enhance the appearance of frame lugs with the affordable mentioned articles.
I have to go and lie down in a darkened room now, will be back later :cry:

Grand Primo

I've looked at a lot of painted frames and I see very few with really well-lined lugs! I paid Ellis Briggs to re-paint my own Pennine and I am very, very pleased with the result (Nervex lugs lined in gold), but I don't know who actually did the work.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Chuck away the Humbrol and the daft pen. Get your self some One Shot sign paint, some One Shot extender (a kind of thinners, but suited to the paint), some OS stripper, some oil for yer brush and a pin-striping signwriter's brush ( I think a kit is available at Wrights of Lymm) and spend a couple of years practicing on flat stuff first ( your car bonnet, those old galvanised watering cans, the wheelbarrow, the chest freezer), before moving on to the copper pipes in the loft. By then you should be ready.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had a bike which didn't have lined lugs and the original paint was shot, so I used one of those round-topped metallic paint pens to highlight the lugs. It looks OK, for all that anyone's going to look at an old beater :laugh: Even my shaky-handed lug lining makes me smile anyway and the paint job is hopefully doing its job of protecting the metal. Much praise for anyone who learns to do it well IMO!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Chuck away the Humbrol and the daft pen. Get your self some One Shot sign paint, some One Shot extender (a kind of thinners, but suited to the paint), some OS stripper, some oil for yer brush and a pin-striping signwriter's brush ( I think a kit is available at Wrights of Lymm) and spend a couple of years practicing on flat stuff first ( your car bonnet, those old galvanised watering cans, the wheelbarrow, the chest freezer), before moving on to the copper pipes in the loft. By then you should be ready.
Well thats cheered me up no end, l suspected as much best leave it to a professional and stick to mucking out horses a planting spuds :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I had a bike which didn't have lined lugs and the original paint was shot, so I used one of those round-topped metallic paint pens to highlight the lugs. It looks OK, for all that anyone's going to look at an old beater :laugh: Even my shaky-handed lug lining makes me smile anyway and the paint job is hopefully doing its job of protecting the metal. Much praise for anyone who learns to do it well IMO!
Now you're talking, l like a bit of deception once in a while. I will look for one of those pens !

wonderdog

Well thats cheered me up no end, l suspected as much best leave it to a professional and stick to mucking out horses a planting spuds :smile:
Oooooooo ... spuds, horse poo ... bliss! Now, the real purpose of my writing is to enquire, without kicking off another unnecessary thread, is to ask whether anyone can lay their hands on a Viscount quick release rear axle (125-126 mm). They have the "V" logo on the end of the QR mechanism and Viscount on the lever. In addition to payment for item and postage to Oz, I will, on receipt of same, send bottle of good Australian red to the supplier.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Sharpie paint based permanent marker, metallic gold, 1 beer, 1/2 hour, stereo on but turned down.

4CEACF8A-296F-45F7-8473-E8ED8CBFE146.jpeg

816F10B2-5351-4756-8A0B-A74AF5192864.jpeg

FA85DEFE-19C1-418B-95C1-D8BD9D14447D.jpeg

I was just reading this thread thinking that I will have to do it at some point on my Falcon Professional frame when I get round to finishing it. I was looking at some pictures of my 1962 Viking Conquest which has Nervex lined lugs and think that I'm glad that my Falcon frame has plain long spear point Prugnat lugs . Getting the right type of paint and brushes and practice will be crucial in getting a good result .

Top Bottom