Luggage Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tall_tom

Regular
Hi All,

I'm new here so be gentle.

I'm doing my first tour this year (Aberdeen to Newcastle - Cliff and Castles) and I'm looking for some advice on luggage.

Salient Points:
- I have a rear rack that I use every day for work with 1 pannier
- We're hostelling, so not carrying camping gear
- I'd like to take a DSLR
- I don't like wearing a rucksack whilst cycling
- I've walked long distance before (coast to coast etc) so happy with minimising packing

My thoughts
- It seems the general trend for first timers is over-packing - which I'd like to avoid
- I reckon something like a pair of front carradice super c's mounted on the rear rack plus a bar bag of some kind in which to put the camera.

Any thoughts. advice, disagreement, discussion?

T

RobinS

Veteran
For hostelling front sized panniers on the rear are ideal (one rear pannier would be enough, but personally I don't like a lopsided bike!). There should be enough space for the camera in there, but if you want it more accessible a bar bag is perfect - that is where I keep my compact camera along with phone, wallet etc.

I've just done a hostelling/camp weekend in changeable weather and found rear-mounted small front panniers to be more than sufficient.
I use Ortleib front and Carradice rear and they both work well, but I am leaning towards Ortleibs as my fav.
A barbag is useful for café stops and as a map holder and camera bag. Rixen and Kaul/Ortleib style mount is the best. The under-stem wire supports all the weight, the clamp just prevents rotation.
A small unpadded packable duffel/daysac is useful for walks, shopping, stuffsac.

andym

Über Member
Get another pannier to go with the one you already have?

Put the camera in a bar bag?

OP
OP
T

tall_tom

Regular
Lovely, sounds like we're all along the same lines.
I'll crack on and let you know how it goes.
Maybe even some photos if the camera survives!

Last edited:

Ruthie

Über Member
Yes, it sounds like plenty of room. I always take a bar bag as well. It's a good place for your jelly babies.

Top Bottom