Luggage transport for French tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A friend came to supper tonight and told us that she was keen to do a relaxed cycle tour in May/June 2020 from St Malo to Uzes, Provence. She doesn't need to be on a tight schedule, and she wanted the flexibility of being able to vary her itinerary at short notice...… a relaxed bimble, really, perhaps with two or three friends.

Do any of the parishioners hereabouts know of organisations in France that can transport luggage from A to B with a level of flexibility?

Thank you.

Edit: She's a French teacher and is perfectly capable of dealing with companies in France.

Last edited:
Supper? A pajama friend?

Sorry - can't help with the question - sounds like a tough call to have someone carry your luggage in such an ever varying way.

If it's essentially a credit card tour (have the feeling it is) can't she carry her own stuff?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I understand that France is a modern country where they have cars with a driver for hire. I gather they call them "taxis".

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's possible to travel very lightweight without too much compromise of comfort. Part of the charm of cycle-touring is being free of external constraints.

I understand that France is a modern country where they have cars with a driver for hire. I gather they call them "taxis".
Yep taxi an international concept I think.

But sounds like an expensive way to move luggage.

And not sure here or anywhere if I would feel comfortable entrusting unaccompanied luggage to a random taxi.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yep taxi an international concept I think.

But sounds like an expensive way to move luggage.

And not sure here or anywhere if I would feel comfortable entrusting unaccompanied luggage to a random taxi.
And some taxis will refuse to take unaccompanied bombs luggage. I'm not sure what's normal in France now.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Supper? A pajama friend?

Sorry - can't help with the question - sounds like a tough call to have someone carry your luggage in such an ever varying way.

If it's essentially a credit card tour (have the feeling it is) can't she carry her own stuff?
Yes, it's a bit of a tall order if the itinerary is going to change at short notice. She may have to stick to a stricter timetable. I know that in the UK there are people who ferry hikers' rucksacs from A to B. I'm sure there must be similar organisations over there.

Crankarm

Guru
Yes, it's a bit of a tall order if the itinerary is going to change at short notice. She may have to stick to a stricter timetable. I know that in the UK there are people who ferry hikers' rucksacs from A to B. I'm sure there must be similar organisations over there.

Sounds like a job for a spouse, BF or GF or butler?

Why can't she carry her own stuff?

For rather more fixed itineraries. My suggestion remains that she discovers the simple pleasures of carrying all you need on your bike. From your description I don't see her brewing up by the side of the road - won't be carrying camping or cooking gear.
Can we ask why she wants to do this trip?

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
For rather more fixed itineraries. My suggestion remains that she discovers the simple pleasures of carrying all you need on your bike. From your description I don't see her brewing up by the side of the road - won't be carrying camping or cooking gear.
Can we ask why she wants to do this trip?
I didn't expect The Spanish Inquisition...…..

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Nobody does!
Seriously, some of the well-known tourist itineraries have companied that ferry luggage along. I've used a service like that along the Danube valley before.
But a randomly-varying trip, that's gonna be difficult.
It's either taxis all the way, which will get pricy, or travel really light. I'd go with the latter, myself.

A friend came to supper tonight and told us that she was keen to do a relaxed cycle tour in May/June 2020 from St Malo to Uzes, Provence. She doesn't need to be on a tight schedule, and she wanted the flexibility of being able to vary her itinerary at short notice...… a relaxed bimble, really, perhaps with two or three friends.

Do any of the parishioners hereabouts know of organisations in France that can transport luggage from A to B with a level of flexibility?

Thank you.

Edit: She's a French teacher and is perfectly capable of dealing with companies in France.

Since it's more of a hiking thing, perhaps try asking on some hiking forums?

One (slim) possibility is to check out Camino services. Carrying baggage from hostel to hostel is a common service on the main routes in Spain. The French routes are not as well serviced, but there may be opportunities.

Good suggestion hobbes but I think they are looking for an ever varying route (like wot loaded folk do)

On balance I think a fixed route would be a good idea or a cycling package.

I hear the Spanish Inquisition trail is becoming increasingly popular.

Brains

Legendary Member
We did a luggage and schedule free tour down the Moselle a few years back.

We had 5 people, one spoke fluent German.
We tended to get recommendations for the next nights B&B from the previous nights B&B.
All the local B&B owners and small hotels seemed to know each other
We simply phoned up the next nights B&B to ensure space was available and what time the luggage could arrive.
We then arranged a taxi, either from the village we were in, or from the village we were going to.
We also had a couple of occasions where we cycled to a nice place, found the accommodation, and then got the taxi to go to last nights place and pick up the bags, total flexibility, even if you had to wait an hour for your luggage to arrive.
In several cases the owner of the B&B picked up or dropped off the luggage free of charge.

I think the most we get hit for was £20, which divided by 5 to have a suitcase delivered was fine
It also meant that we had 5 normal sized suitcases, so fresh clothes each day.
Overall the delivery service probably added £150 in total to the trip, which when divided by 5 was only around £30 each

I'd do it again, but you do need someone that speaks the local lingo and a large enough group to spread the cost.

Top Bottom