Lunch time Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I regularly have the habit of getting up too late to cycle to work. On the days where it nice I will go home at lunch time and cycle back. I have noticed that on pretty much all occassions I have done this somebody will beep at me along a particular stretch of road. This never happens in the morning going to work or early evening coming home from work.

Are lunch time drivers in particular cyclist hating numpties, or is this just a coincidence?

Plax said:
Are lunch time drivers in particular cyclist hating numpties, or is this just a coincidence?
Depends when your lunch time is. If its the same as everybody else's you can find yourself in the middle of folk rushing to the PO/ Bank etc, so they get back to work in time. Its never as bad as the Morning peak though.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
HLaB said:
Depends when your lunch time is. If its the same as everybody else's you can find yourself in the middle of folk rushing to the PO/ Bank etc, so they get back to work in time. Its never as bad as the Morning peak though.

I tend to take it from 12-1pm so I'm on that stretch of road around 12:45-50ish so could be a possibility, although the extremely part time bank that's only open about 2hrs 1 day a week and the PO is in the actual village in the opposite direction.

sadjack

Not noticed it myself Plax. MIght be some truth in people trying to get things done in their lunch hour so are in a rush, dunno.

The only danger for me is going back to work! I set out on a ride today at 12.30 and got home about 4.30pm. Luckily I work for myself so I did'nt get a telling off :wacko:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Aye, it's probably people in a mad rush on their lunch breaks, but I'm going to blame it on bloody tourists :wacko:.

Norm

I've found that, outside rush hour, some people expect to be able to travel faster and get more frustrated when they can't. Most are more relaxed but there's always one, right?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Maybe it's someone you know saying 'Hi!!!'?

That thought had also crossed my mind as sometimes the hoots sound "friendly" but I never recognise the cars. Yesterday on the way home I actually had a car coming in the opposite direction hoot and the driver stick his thumb up at me but I have no idea who he was either, and there was no cars behind me.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Plax said:
That thought had also crossed my mind as sometimes the hoots sound "friendly" but I never recognise the cars. Yesterday on the way home I actually had a car coming in the opposite direction hoot and the driver stick his thumb up at me but I have no idea who he was either, and there was no cars behind me.

are you in the habit of wearing anything ...er..."skimpy";)

BSRU

A Human Being
I cycle home everyday for lunch and the standard of driving is the same as during the rush hour, generally very good with the odd inconsiderate idiot.

Armegatron

I cycle to work and have started to have a Friday afternoon ride to get an icecream :rolleyes:
I have found that the traffic entering the site I work on is generally in a rush to get back before their boss finds out they have gone :evil: Best thing to do is take it easy and enjoy your ride.

Top Bottom