Lunchtime cycling for the first time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotmitchy

Got the bike with me at work again today, but felt cooped up so went out at lunchtime for a quick cycle - 45 minutes later I've done 5 and a half miles (I know, I know, I will get faster!) but amazingly I got up to 22mph at one point, before turning into a head wind which dropped me down to about 7mph lol.

I did about three miles on roads and the rest on a canal towpath, and actually found the road the easier surface to cycle on by far, despite it not being so flat.

I'm loving this new bike so far!

Piccies to follow tonight, hopefully.

M

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Good going!!

The road, especially if it is smooth tarmac, is always easier surface to cycle on, something which Sustrans seems to struggle to understand. Hope you weren't trying to do 22mph on the canal towpath ;)

So how about joining us on a CC Ecosse ride then, there is talk of having an extra one this weekend and apparently "There WILL be cake afterwards"...

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Got the bike with me at work again today, but felt cooped up so went out at lunchtime for a quick cycle - 45 minutes later I've done 5 and a half miles (I know, I know, I will get faster!) but amazingly I got up to 22mph at one point, before turning into a head wind which dropped me down to about 7mph lol.

I did about three miles on roads and the rest on a canal towpath, and actually found the road the easier surface to cycle on by far, despite it not being so flat.

M

Sounds like you may be enjoying the new bike :biggrin: I wouldnt get too strung up over average speeds etc just keep getting out there enjoying your cycling and your fitness will improve without you really noticing.

potsy

Rambler
Someone's very keen aren't they
thumbsup.png

I sometimes think about nipping out at break time for a quick blast,but I only have 30 mins and I have to eat in that time as well.

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

Well I normally eat at my desk and work my way through - I am more than owed a lunch hour now and then (plus at the moment I am the boss, so 45 minutes away from my desk was intantly authorised lol).

I have to say my legs were dead on the way home tonight, two cycles home and a lunchtime ride when I haven't ridden since June (or since dislocating my knee in July) so ouch!

I think I will take tomorrow off, at least until I am home then can nip out.

In saying that, I made it home in just 26 minutes, though I did have to stop once or twice to let the muscles chill out ... so when I was cycling I must have picked up more speed (23mph at one point lol!)

Piccies being uploaded to flickr now, I will add one or two in shortly.

M

Will the enthusiasm last.. come the wet and windy winter month..LOL

Top Bottom