Lyle's have killed their dead lion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The old and the new lion logo.
IMG_20240220_233507.jpg

When did they drop the first half of the name, Tate?

Gwylan

Veteran
They've probably hired a bright thing who wants to fix things that work perfectly well already.

I worked as a gopher fixing the line that produces the syrup in tins.
An amazing monument to Heath-Robinson.

AndyRM

XOXO
I like the new identity. It's a lot cleaner but still nostalgic.

I liked the old one too - one of those pieces of work that I reckon most people wouldn't have given a second thought to, or known the meaning behind.

But (without getting too political) the change will be framed as an attack on religious iconography or something. Or a "woke" rebrand.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My dad was employed as a Mechanical Draughtsman at Tate & Lyle, Silvertown, in the 1960's.
I always thought it was Tate & Lyle on the syrup tin until I looked properly and saw that it wasn't.

AndyRM

XOXO
Never noticed and if I had wouldn't have had a clue as to the Samson story above.

This is the thing when a brand is so iconic. Again this is a generalisation but most folk will recognise the colours and the arch and won't have given a hoot about the lion.

It's only when a rebrand goes drastically wrong that it's actually an issue. To use one example: when Gap changed to their basic Helvetica effort with a silly little cube tacked over the 'P' it was rightly ripped to shreds and they quickly reverted. $100 million not exactly well spent...

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I wonder have their sales gone up with all this sudden publicity!

I used to eat it when I was young but I just couldn't now. Far too sweet (and I like having teeth and not being a diabetic).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wonder have their sales gone up with all this sudden publicity!

I used to eat it when I was young but I just couldn't now. Far too sweet (and I like having teeth and not being a diabetic).

It's OK in porridge but it always leaves a sticky mess in the kitchen cupboard.

Top Bottom