Lyle's have killed their dead lion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Will still be on the tin, though.

17724072.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Out of the strong came forth sweetness - I've always liked that.
And didn't Samson in the Bible do something with bees, or am I confused about something else?

classic33

Leg End Member
The connection between dead lions, bees and golden syrup has never been clear to me. No two elements seem linked, let alone all three.
From the BBC link,
"According to the company's website, Lyle had strong religious views, which is why the logo depicts the story of Samson from the Old Testament, in which Samson killed an attacking lion, and later noticed a swarm of bees had formed a comb of honey in the carcass."

Reading around, apparently the old logo has strong Christian overtones and they're changing it to avoid causing offence. If that's the case I suspect it will offend a lot more people than they would have done by leaving it alone.

Old Testament, so Judeo-Christian. Samson sees the comb in the lion's corpse and takes the honey. Later he poses the saying "out of the strong came forth sweetness" as a riddle to an opponent, who fails to get the answer, because... well would you? At some point fairly soon thereafter the situation escalates and Samson starts beating up people on a democratic basis.
I've heard the story described as an ancient superhero story, a sort of Jack Reacher/Ironman. It apparently originated at a time when the people of Israel were in exile, so it may have developed as a sort of subversive anti political overlord type story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom