What have they done to....... Ambrosia rice (or other food products).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Something I was quite partial to when younger was Ambrosia creamed rice, made with rich Devon cream, apparently.

What have they done to it? :ohmy:xx(.

I opened a can last night, got half way through it, and binned the rest. The rice was too hard and gritty, the sauce thinner and less sweet. Just wrong on so many levels; the flavour and consistency has changed beyond all recognition. I had to check the "best before" date, but it was well within date.

It has now joined Heinz beans on the "never again, because you have messed with the recipe" list.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Something I was quite partial to when younger was Ambrosia creamed rice, made with rich Devon cream, apparently.

I opened a can last night, got half way through it, and binned the rest. The rice was too hard and gritty, the sauce thinner and less sweet. Just wrong on so many levels; the flavour and consistency has changed beyond all recognition. I had to check the "best before" date, but it was well within date.

It has now joined Heinz beans on the "never again, because you have messed with the recipe" list.

I think it is pure greed by the manufacturers to cut their costs and maximise profits. I've noticed lots of things I have been buying seem to have altered and are not as nice as they used to be.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I think the answer might depend on how long it is since @Brandane last tried some. A lot of products in the "olden days" were full of sugar and E numbers. Manufacturers have had to try to make them healthier with less sugar, and probably low fat milk. The can will have traffic lights showing the proportion of fat, sugar, etc. I bet if they'd done that in the 1970's it would have been red all the way.

If it's just a change in the last few months then @Mo1959 will be right.

I was never a fan of tinned rice... or baked beans for that matter :laugh:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
The thing is, it has since been proved that fat is not the devil they used to say it was and for me personally, I would much rather have a teaspoon of real sugar in a product as it be filled with nasty artificial sweeteners.

This, in spades!!!
Aspartame, the artificial sweetener, is the work of the devil. May be carcinogenic too.
I wish the food Police would let us make up our own minds about what we want to eat.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
This, in spades!!!
Aspartame, the artificial sweetener, is the work of the devil. May be carcinogenic too.
I wish the food Police would let us make up our own minds about what we want to eat.

In defence of Ambrosia, according to the label on my (empty) can, it contains no artificial sweeteners. It contains only 9% rice though! The rest is basically sugar (8.7%) and a mixture of skimmed and full cream milk. Whatever; it still tastes like xx( .

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My mum used to make a rice pudding using the residual heat from Sunday dinner by placing the dish on the bottom of the oven for a slower bake at a lower temperature.
It was lovely, with a crispy nutmeg topping!

I guess such husbandry isn't so prevalent now.

gbb

Legendary Member
Tbf, I'd try another can at a later date, this might have been an exception. We all expect conformity, it's what manufacturers aim for but this may have been an odd batch. Be a shame to miss out on one of life's little pleasures based on one poor experience.

Slick

Guru

Also, have we not got tougher regulations around sugar in food, much like our tax system? :wacko:

Top Bottom