What have they done to....... Ambrosia rice (or other food products).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Has anyone seen @Brandane or is he still sleeping? :laugh:

I was up for a few hours but need an early night now. Been a hard day playing ludo, watching my black and white TV, listening to the wireless, reading the Sunday Post, and eating stuff for old people :smile: .

Picking up on the op I have found that Branston baked beans taste like Heinz used to. Unfortunately can't enjoy the current Heinz bland taste

Yup - Branson are better
But I prefer the Heinz beans with sausage

Having said which - before my wife started living here I generally had ASDA own brand - or Tesco own brand if I had to,
But Madam doesn;t like them as much so........

Stange that, I bought my Dutch vegie son and his Dutch vegie squeeze 4 tins of Heinz and 4 of Branson and asked them to compare. They both thought Branson was too sweet and preferred Heinz.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have found that Branston baked beans taste like Heinz used to. Unfortunately can't enjoy the current Heinz bland taste...
I save money by buying Lidl or Aldi own brand, and then attack any taste issues by major modifications***!

*** I add a couple of chopped hot chillis, crushed garlic, curry powder, and mixed herbs. After that there is nothing left of the original taste! :laugh:

Gwylan

Veteran
Something I was quite partial to when younger was Ambrosia creamed rice, made with rich Devon cream, apparently.

What have they done to it? :ohmy:xx(.

I opened a can last night, got half way through it, and binned the rest. The rice was too hard and gritty, the sauce thinner and less sweet. Just wrong on so many levels; the flavour and consistency has changed beyond all recognition. I had to check the "best before" date, but it was well within date.

It has now joined Heinz beans on the "never again, because you have messed with the recipe" list.

Add Marmite to that list.

steverob

Guru
And put "New Improved" on the tin every time they improve the profitability of the contents!
I've said it before and I'll never tire of saying it - the worst four words to see on the packaging of any food are "New And Improved Recipe".

Whatever it was specifically that you liked about that product before, you can guarantee that's the bit they've changed and not for the better.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think things like tinned rice pudding etc are more for very elderly people in my experience, people who might struggle with cooking or not understand what to do etc. Or people who are coming towards the end of their days from illness etc.
I cant see anyone eating things like this otherwise. Its absolutely horrid.

That first para' has to be t-i-c surely? ^_^

SpokeyDokey

I was up for a few hours but need an early night now. Been a hard day playing ludo, watching my black and white TV, listening to the wireless, reading the Sunday Post, and eating stuff for old people :smile: .

Brilliant post imo. :okay:^_^

I love some of the old age perceptions that get thrown our way.

You could have added 'whilst still ruining absolutely everything for younger folk' - but that would be for another forum.

SpokeyDokey

I save money by buying Lidl or Aldi own brand, and then attack any taste issues by major modifications***!

*** I add a couple of chopped hot chillis, crushed garlic, curry powder, and mixed herbs. After that there is nothing left of the original taste! :laugh:

Building on that nice example of lateral thinking, not 2 hours ago, I added a couple of grinds (what else do you call something that comes out of those twisty things?) of salt to some, otherwise tasteless, Sainsbury Brussels Pate.

A miraculous taste improvement was the result.

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Since I learned what going into these foods I stay well clear. Can’t beat a little homemade cooking or baking.that way you have a better idea of what’s in it.
This morning was some two brown loafs and two white. Both types were full of flavour 😋 and no nasty stuff

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom