What have they done to....... Ambrosia rice (or other food products).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WHat have they done with Ambrosia Creamed Rice??

In the case of our local Tesco Then I can answer that!
They have removed it from the shelves - that is what they have done

They might try to fool me by sometimes having a SMALL gap witha label saying it is Out-of-stock but when it often dissappears then I get suspicious

I know (using the word "know" in a way that may be stretching it a bit!) that there is someone (who may or may not be a computer) watching the sales of their own brand (which co-incidentally might just make them more profit) and working out whether or not the sales of the "real stuff" swaps to the own brand.

As far as the actual product goes - Yup - they gotta make it cheaper to make while making it look less unhealthy

funny think is that my ex used to make rice pudding in the oven
just milk (we used semi skimmed because that was what we got) and it was VERY creamy but did have a fair amount of sugar
plus loads of rice

It does seem like the tinned version has more calories while having less taste

but it does take a lot longer to make it in the oven than open a tin and lob it into the microwave to 2 minutes!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Make your own as @PeteXXX says, or if you have some left over cooked rice add some heated milk and condensed milk if you like, pour it into a bowl and add caster sugar to taste. Used to love it as a kid.

presta

Guru
I do have some sympathy for a lot of these manufacturers, in that they are almost forced to make a luxury product "healthy" when the alternative is to keep it tasty but face huge backlash from the media and/or Jamie Oliver.
It's worse than that, they also have to compete with what people can cook at home, and they're not obliged to publish nutrition data like the manufacturers are.

I recall when the BBC published an article about the high level of sugar in Dolmio sauces. It wasn't long before the foodies were all crowing "Oh I don't eat that muck, I make my own", followed soon after by sharing their favourite recipes. So I calculated the nutrition information, and showed them that there was as much sugar in their "healthy" home-made sauces as there was in the Dolmio.

There's more to eating a healthy diet than just cooking your own recipes then telling yourself they're healthy because they're home-cooked, and manufacturers can't win against that problem, whichever side of the fence they come down on.

It's worse than that, they also have to compete with what people can cook at home, and they're not obliged to publish nutrition data like the manufacturers are.

I recall when the BBC published an article about the high level of sugar in Dolmio sauces. It wasn't long before the foodies were all crowing "Oh I don't eat that muck, I make my own", followed soon after by sharing their favourite recipes. So I calculated the nutrition information, and showed them that there was as much sugar in their "healthy" home-made sauces as there was in the Dolmio.

There's more to eating a healthy diet than just cooking your own recipes then telling yourself they're healthy because they're home-cooked, and manufacturers can't win against that problem, whichever side of the fence they come down on.

Yup - my ex used to go on about healthy eating and organic food and all that

but couldn't understand how she was putting on so much weight - she never saw ingredients in "natural organic food" as having any calories or bad stuff!!!

presta

Guru
Yup - my ex used to go on about healthy eating and organic food and all that

but couldn't understand how she was putting on so much weight - she never saw ingredients in "natural organic food" as having any calories or bad stuff!!!

The Channel 4 series Secret Eaters was highly revealing, they used to recruit people who couldn't see why they were fat, and have them followed by a private detective. A postwoman who claimed she had one salad a day stopped at the village shop, came out with armfuls of cream cakes, pork pies etc, then sat on the bench outside and scoffed the lot. Another woman who put 2000kcals of cheese in the sauce she was pouring on her dinner couldn't understand why she was fat because she was cooking everything herself from scratch.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The Channel 4 series Secret Eaters was highly revealing, they used to recruit people who couldn't see why they were fat, and have them followed by a private detective. A postwoman who claimed she had one salad a day stopped at the village shop, came out with armfuls of cream cakes, pork pies etc, then sat on the bench outside and scoffed the lot. Another woman who put 2000kcals of cheese in the sauce she was pouring on her dinner couldn't understand why she was fat because she was cooking everything herself from scratch.

I could be on that! Though I know exactly why I'm putting on weight. So maybe not so secret; I'm just an Eater

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
It is all down to convenience - 2 minutes to open a tin and heat it
against 2 hours to make and cook it

I don't even bother heating it :laugh: .

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

We have a neighbour like that, troughs like a pig on absolute garbage and claims to eat next to nothing. And cannot understand why they put on weight!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Anybody who buys tinned rice puddings needs their cooking skills updated

I think things like tinned rice pudding etc are more for very elderly people in my experience, people who might struggle with cooking or not understand what to do etc. Or people who are coming towards the end of their days from illness etc.
I cant see anyone eating things like this otherwise. Its absolutely horrid.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
They'll have substituted all the expensive ingredients with cheapo ones, and then trotted out some bollards about "the fight against obesity" to justify it.

Top Bottom