Lynn Davies Beaten!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Brill!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Watching the news afterwards, they mentioned Ennis and Farrah in a flounce of 'Aren't the Olympics wonderful?' type sentiment. It seems they had forgotten about Rutherford already :rolleyes:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
He looked strangely familiar when watching it, then they said hes from MK, odd maybe Ive just seen him in the paper.

PBancroft

He looked strangely familiar when watching it, then they said hes from MK, odd maybe Ive just seen him in the paper.

I thought he looked familiar too. Then we watched an episode of How I Met Your Mother and realised he has a striking resemblance to Neil Patrick Harris, who plays Barney Stinson, at least in the mouth and eyes and now I have a hard time shaking the idea that Rutherford is an elaborate trick being carried out by a TV character.

Arch

Married to Night Train
They had Mary Peters in the BBC studio. She used to live near us when I was a kid, and I remember my Mum saying she'd seen her in the grocers.

I was thinking she looked old. Then I remembered that was maybe 35 years ago. Then I felt old.

I'm still struggling to understand how anyone can jump 8 metres. NT pointed out that that's the entire length of his living room, and some.:wacko:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Watching the news afterwards, they mentioned Ennis and Farrah in a flounce of 'Aren't the Olympics wonderful?' type sentiment. It seems they had forgotten about Rutherford already :rolleyes:
I felt a bit sorry for him. Not because he won, that was great, but because his truly remarkable achievement had been overshadowed by two 'bigger' achievements. Had it been today, say, or Wednesday night or any other occasion where it was an isolated gold, he'd be a household name but as it was sandwiched between two better known athletes carrying considerable expectations, his achievement was downgraded in the eyes of the BBC.

OP
OP
accountantpete

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I felt a bit sorry for him. Not because he won, that was great, but because his truly remarkable achievement had been overshadowed by two 'bigger' achievements. Had it been today, say, or Wednesday night or any other occasion where it was an isolated gold, he'd be a household name but as it was sandwiched between two better known athletes carrying considerable expectations, his achievement was downgraded in the eyes of the BBC.

I thought that the Olympic organisers might have tolerated a brief delay to the 10,000 meters so that the last round of the Long Jump could have been completed - seemed a shame to bury the success slightly in the middle of the race.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well, lets make no more mention of Ennis and Farrah and only mention Rutherford's name, and if you do have to say the other names then at least have the decency too censor them.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I thought that the Olympic organisers might have tolerated a brief delay to the 10,000 meters so that the last round of the Long Jump could have been completed - seemed a shame to bury the success slightly in the middle of the race.

Yes, we were saying how odd it must be, competing while another event is going on, but I suppose they get used to it, as most athletics meets seem to have the same. I felt sorry for the other Brit, who was lined up and ready to jump and then had to 'stand down' while they introduced the runners. Seemed much fairer to let him do it, and hold the intros for 30 seconds more.

Rutherford did get a nice interview on the BBC this morning. He's not even got his medal yet, as there wasn't time last night to fit it in, and they will be doing it tonight. In fact, I'm not sure Farrah got his last night either?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Rutherford did get a nice interview on the BBC this morning. He's not even got his medal yet, as there wasn't time last night to fit it in, and they will be doing it tonight. In fact, I'm not sure Farrah got his last night either?

Fa**ah got his earlier, so I presume Rutherford did too. No idea op En*is.

Top Bottom