Lynskey R230 or Linskey Sportive - Anyone got one ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C_Sharp

Hello,

I'm currently considering buying either a Lynskey R230 or Lynskey Sportive based bike.

If anyone has either of these models, I'd be very interested in your feedback and comments please.

Lynskey describe the R230 as a "do-all, multi-use road frame". Does this suggest that the geometry is more relaxed than their full on road bikes like the Helix ?

This would appeal as the Lynskey road bike frames seem to have quite an aggressive geometry and very stiff frame and I just wondered if that would lead to fatigue on a long day ride.

It'd be great to hear from any other owners.

OP
OP
C

C_Sharp

Anyone ? Please.

I know that few shops seem to sell Lynskeys, maybe that's why they're relatively scarce.

The frame for the Planet X Ti Sportive is actually made by Lynskey. Looking at mine, and the Lynskey Sportive, apart from the cloverleaf dropouts, the geometry looks the same. The Planet X is very good for long rides, plus of course the titanium just soaks up road buzz.

The Helix seems to be more aimed at the racing market, rather than all day rides and so may well be less comfortable.

What sort of riding are you intending on doing?

P.H

Über Member
Flying Dodo said:
The frame for the Planet X Ti Sportive is actually made by Lynskey.

The new model isn't (With better clearances and no mention of DB tubing)
I think it's made by Van Nicholas, but don't remember where I read that so can't be sure... PX still have a few of the old model in stock.

I doubt you'll find many who have ridden both, who'd be so lucky?
The PX Sportive is a fantastic bike, though my experience of other frames of that quality is too limited to make a comparison. Unless you actually race, adding comfort for a tiny drop in performance seems a good deal, but then I'm no racer, so again not very helpful!

OP
OP
C

C_Sharp

P.H said:
The new model isn't (With better clearances and no mention of DB tubing)
I think it's made by Van Nicholas, but don't remember where I read that so can't be sure... PX still have a few of the old model in stock.

I doubt you'll find many who have ridden both, who'd be so lucky?
The PX Sportive is a fantastic bike, though my experience of other frames of that quality is too limited to make a comparison. Unless you actually race, adding comfort for a tiny drop in performance seems a good deal, but then I'm no racer, so again not very helpful!

Thanks Guys. I think I also read that the older Planet X Sportives were rebranded Lynskey frames, but they are now using Van Nicholas. My guess is that Flying Dodo has got a Lynskey one.

OP
OP
C

C_Sharp

A guy called Stefan who bought a Lynskey R230 has uploaded several videos to YouTube, within which he recounts his experiences of riding his new bike.

Within the following video (round about 4:40) he mentions that the Lynskey R230 has turned out to be far stiffer than he ever imagined that it would be and he almost seemed concerned that he'd bought the wrong bike.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3Jyq38Dmk&feature=related

He then goes on to say that the top tube of his Lynskey is 1cm (think he's got a 54cm) shorter than the top tube on his old bike. He basically swaps his stem for one that is 1cm longer, presumably to compensate for the shorter top tube and as a consequence, he ends up with a far more compliant ride.

He must have a Medium sized frame (54.1cm top tube), whereas, I think I need an XL (59cm top tube), so will that mean that my XL sized Lynskey R230 will be less stiff and more compliant than his Medium Lynskey R230 ?

Also, could you please tell me if the Lynskey R230 will comfortably take a 25C tyre with plenty of clearance ?

I'd be grateful for anyon'es comments on this one.

lmow20

If it ain't titanium, it's not that cool.
Hey CSharp,
what did you go for in the end? I am currently waiting for delivery of the lynskey sportive. Wonderful frames, not at wonderful prices sadly, but sod it, you only live once hey..

Top Bottom