M&S Merino vests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie

Errrr.....
Browsing the local M&S I happened upon 2x Merino wool long sleeve thermal vest for 15 quid. I've read on here how Merino base layers are praised by those who own them, so I bought a pack intending to use them as base layers. Can anyone see the flaw in my cunning plan? (Other than they'll look like vests instead of state of the art base layers with a "technical" logo, which frankly I don't give a toss about)
Cheers

mr Mag00

rising member
i use a state of the art merino base layer its great but it is a lightweight one, i see nothing wrong with ur plans, looking online now to find them!
you may find them too warm, depends on you, I get v warm when cycling.

yello

There's merino and there's merino. The NZ/Aus merino is the stuff you want as a base layer. I have seen Italian merino sweaters, for instance, and they are significantly cheaper than the stuff from NZ/Aus. I don't know what the M&S offering is but, at that price, I would hazard a guess that it'll keep you warm but that it won't have the wicking properties of the 'technical' stuff.

djmc

Über Member
I think the wicking properties are to do with its nature so I don't think that there would be all that much in it. It's probably more that the expensive stuff will have been treated so that it doesn't shrink, stretch or felt when it is washed in a washing machine. That is usually the problem with wool.

Blue

Legendary Member
I use one of the M&S vests.

They are machine washable and don't shrink. They are only 32% wool.

They are warm, but bulky. I have to say I get on better with my more expensive tecnical base layers, but I don't regret making the purchase.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have a merino wool sweater.. I use it as a base layer. I stay warm but the sweat does make the jumper wet. The good thing about it is that it never stinks to high heaven like the man made base layers I have.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
First of all, a small correction to my OP, £15 gets you just one of the vests. :biggrin:

Checking the label they are 32% merino wool, but as Blue finds them OK I'll hang on to it for the remaining colder mornings, and keep an eye out for bargain techie stuff over the summer. ;)

I've got two Musto base layers which don't smell too bad at the moment, but they probably won't see me through next winter without becoming nasty as my commute is just about to get much longer.

Tynan

Veteran
not just the material is it, the weave affects the wicking init?

as long as I've got one pair of bib longs and go to evening classes, I'm washing every evening anyway

bonj2

if you want them as a base layer, check they are 100% merino and not something like 95% merino 5% silk or something like that, as are some of the ones i've seen in m&s before. That may be more comfy as a general wearing garment, but for a technical sportswear you want pure merino really.

can recommend icebreaker ones, they are 100% NZ merino, sell them in blacks.

djmc

Über Member
I like the wool/silk mixtures. Silk has much the same sort of thermal properties as wool. I think they are both basically keratin. Wool can be quite itchy, with silk it is much less so. I have used wool, silk and a mixture for skiing in Iceland, they work well.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Wore the vest yesterday during my commute as it was a bit nippy. No doubt it's not as breathable as my Musto base layers, but it kept me from being chilled on the slower parts of the ride and at traffic lights, so it does the job I bought it for. :angry:

Top Bottom