M25 J10 / A3 Wisley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
Anyone else been following these proposals?

The RHS were hot under the collar at an earlier stage because widening the A3 was going to involve a landtake from RHS Wisley. That's been headed off, but they are still hot under the collar because the new proposals involve motorists, especially the minority who approach from the south, having to drive a mile further to get into the garden (the RHS being seemingly oblivious to the irony of cutting down trees and removing green space so as not to put any obstacle in the way of people going to look at trees and green space).

But from the cyclist POV I think the current proposals are actually good. There will be junction-free routes all the way along the A3, further away from the carriageway than the present effort, and using a minor detour and a bridge to bypass the multiple stop-starts of waiting for traffic light phasing at the junction itself. And the bridge at Wisley itself will be cycleable rather than the present get off and push up steps.

I still oppose the whole scheme on the basis of being yet more prioritisation of free flowing motor traffic over community and amenity. But it's about the first scheme of its sort I recall where the cycling element looks like it was designed by someone who understood the needs of cyclists.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
First scheme you've seen following the IAN195/16 update to the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges?

Top Bottom