m6l gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi :hello:my 1st and 2nd gears on my new bromptom sound like a prop plane when rideing up hills I spoke to bromptom they said all bromptoms make that sound in the low gears it coming from the hub. I phoned few brompton dealers some say they do that and some say they should run quite. I dont no what to do? I mite have to ride a demo bike to see if its the same. I would not like to be buying a bike of that price only to have odd gears not functioning right

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
Why not make a video so we can hear what your bike sounds like. We just have your word for how it sounds and we're not psychic!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Interesting this has come up, my most recent B does this. I thought the tyre was rubbing the rear guard at first . Non of my previous 4 6 speeds have done this. It is getting less and less noticeable as I ride it more so maybe some manufacturing tolerance thing that beds in?

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Yep that's it when you ride in low gears it sounds like tyre is rubbing mudguard I have got off bike meny times to check mudguard and its not rubbing. i find myself avoiding the low gears a bit I like all gears smooth well if thats what gears are to be like dahons are better.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Yep that's it when you ride in low gears it sounds like tyre is rubbing mudguard I have got off bike meny times to check mudguard and its not rubbing. i find myself avoiding the low gears a bit I like all gears smooth well if thats what gears are to be like dahons are better.
I'm not that concerned now, now I've sussed out what it is. Let's face it, even the best, Rohloffs, have a long bedding in time.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Judging by the number of threads you have started, regarding the problems you are experiencing with this bike, I suspect that you are regretting spending so much money for it and are now coming up with reasons/excuses to get rid of it. The resale value of a Brompton is high, so you shouldn't lose too much if you sold it and used the cash to buy a Dahon or a Tern folder.

RMurphy195

I have Marathons on my Brommie. I've found that its noisiest is when the tyres need a bit of air - the aeroplane noise is coming from the rear tyre when you put pressure on the pedals in the lower gears!

The only other occasion that the noise got loud was when the locknut on the gears came loose and they went out of adjustment - took 2 seconds to fix.

Top Bottom