"Macho" on Wright stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think I've only watched this programme once or twice before. Got the week off and flicking through the channels to see it on and he's asking about "macho" and is it ok for young lads to be girly, etc etc etc..

Sent in an email saying "why are cars considered macho? try cycling 50 miles and see who is tough" :angry:

I guess I'm too provacative as they havent read it out. :wacko:

What IS macho anyway? In my family my old Grandfather (many, many years departed now) though a man was a "woofter", his words not mine, if he wore aftershave or played football. :ohmy:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been meaning to post a question on this very subject but have held back for fear of being ridiculed. I want to know how many cyclists view their sport as macho. MTBing is pretty macho I guess because you get muddy, break things and tear around all over the country laughing, drinking beer and falling off a lot. In recent months though I've grown tired of this scene and the beer bellies that go with it and have almost abandoned my MTB in favour of road cycling. I agree that road riding probably does look wussy to some but for me the cult of cleanliness, muscle and ultimate fitness more than compensates and the speed, the cameraderie and the competition, the lore and mystique are all macho in a much more subtle and refined way than MTBing.

What do others think?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Globalti said:
I've been meaning to post a question on this very subject but have held back for fear of being ridiculed. I want to know how many cyclists view their sport as macho. MTBing is pretty macho I guess because you get muddy, break things and tear around all over the country laughing, drinking beer and falling off a lot. In recent months though I've grown tired of this scene and the beer bellies that go with it and have almost abandoned my MTB in favour of road cycling. I agree that road riding probably does look wussy to some but for me the cult of cleanliness, muscle and ultimate fitness more than compensates and the speed, the cameraderie and the competition, the lore and mystique are all macho in a much more subtle and refined way than MTBing.

What do others think?
I say: be the man you want to be. Macho to me is strong and considered decision with a sense of reason. :angry:

Dan B

Disengaged member
"The cult of cleanliness, muscle and ultimate fitness" could equally well be said about bodybuilding, not a sport known for being aggressively heterosexual.

If you have to train for it, it's not macho. It's all about not being seen to try too hard

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
coruskate said:
"The cult of cleanliness, muscle and ultimate fitness" could equally well be said about bodybuilding, not a sport known for being aggressively heterosexual.

If you have to train for it, it's not macho. It's all about not being seen to try too hard

You've never been in a body building gym then I take it. :angry: Your last statement in simply nonsense.:wacko:

Dan B

Disengaged member
downfader said:
You've never been in a body building gym then I take it.
No. I'm talking about the public perception, not about what actually goes on behind the scenes.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
coruskate said:
No. I'm talking about the public perception, not about what actually goes on behind the scenes.

I honestly know of no such public perception. Perhaps others could enlighten me? :ohmy: Ofcourse if it is your personal opinion I'm willing to accept it. :laugh:

wafflycat

Macho?

Everything you need to know from YouTube

Should be work-safe.

Norm

downfader said:
I honestly know of no such public perception. Perhaps others could enlighten me? :smile: Ofcourse if it is your personal opinion I'm willing to accept it. :ohmy:
I don't think that sk8rboi is alone in his "perception". See here for a pretty blatant 30 year old example. :biggrin: In fact, pretty much everything about Village People could be used as evidence. :biggrin:

Top Bottom