Maclean barn find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

Asked about a bit, "milling a fork" got a blank stare at cycle republic and a warning that it could go wrong, might get the angle wrong but ask the boss who is back next week.
Done a bit more cleaning and put the 700cc tubular back wheel off the Diamant bike on it. Might swap the 27inch wheels for the 700cc ones, makes it look more like a racer.
Can you change for smaller wheels?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Asked about a bit, "milling a fork" got a blank stare at cycle republic and a warning that it could go wrong, might get the angle wrong but ask the boss who is back next week.
Done a bit more cleaning and put the 700cc tubular back wheel off the Diamant bike on it. Might swap the 27inch wheels for the 700cc ones, makes it look more like a racer.
Not without changing the brake calipers, those are at their limit of adjustment.

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

38D56720-705C-4CF1-A60E-610E960D815C.jpeg
D61F1C04-D471-4AAC-A57F-AF092E4B630E.jpeg
Can live with brakes that don't fit;).
I haven't bit the bullet yet and stripped it down properly, still in search of the tool to get the chain ring off, however, I have decided to keep the paintwork as is.
I mixed up some poster paint to the same orange and started spotting a few marks/scratches to see how it looks. I can get a great match, but realise it is a water based product.
My new question is, can you spot paint like I am and then spray a sealer/clear acrylic product onto the frame to waterproof the new paint?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Are we not talking about turning, rather than milling?
I needed to do this on a 1940’s fork.
I clamped the steerer in my lathe chuck and used a left handed turning tool to reduce the diameter of the bearing seat so I could fit currently available headset. Took me about 10 mins.

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

04363F46-E970-4CF4-885B-549AE2A38E92.jpeg
Found these wheels at a car boot today, 8 speed Campagnolo cassette,to get it to fit I would like to remove one of what appears to be 2 locking nuts. Is this possible please, I don’t want to force things?
820EA55D-B056-4541-830A-682696FEEC46.jpeg

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

A14154E4-C665-4096-8A6A-5736CEA73DAF.jpeg
Going from 126mm spacing to 130mm?
The nut I would like to remove is one of the two I have marked with the red arrow. If that can come off I would gain about 4 mm which will mean the axle would slot into place.( the nuts arrowed are preventing it at the moment).

midlife

Guru
But then wouldn't the wheel need redishing, and the QR wouldn't work as it will stick out of the dropout ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 437095
The nut I would like to remove is one of the two I have marked with the red arrow. If that can come off I would gain about 4 mm which will mean the axle would slot into place.( the nuts arrowed are preventing it at the moment).
You've arrowed the cone and the locknut, both are essential and as midlife points out,

But then wouldn't the wheel need redishing, and the QR wouldn't work as it will stick out of the dropout ?
the wheel won't fit without the hollow axle being changed/modified.

What I meant is that the wheel will go in if you 'spring' the rear triangle apart slightly to get it in. OK not ideal but it works if you are starting from 126 mm.

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

82EC5E3B-6E97-4F0A-BAEF-2D3D102E8CE1.jpeg
You've arrowed the cone and the locknut, both are essential and as midlife points out,

the wheel won't fit without the hollow axle being changed/modified.

What I meant is that the wheel will go in if you 'spring' the rear triangle apart slightly to get it in. OK not ideal but it works if you are starting from 126 mm.
Thanks Raleighnut, I didn’t know both of those nuts were essential. I have the original 5 speed wheels so I don’t need to put these on, I liked the idea as they have an 8 speed cassette and are better wheels. So if I were to make the opening bigger to accommodate the new wheels or modify the hollow axle, would I run into problems with the derailleur not being able to travel over the full range of its 8 cog cassette?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 437165
Thanks Raleighnut, I didn’t know both of those nuts were essential. I have the original 5 speed wheels so I don’t need to put these on, I liked the idea as they have an 8 speed cassette and are better wheels. So if I were to make the opening bigger to accommodate the new wheels or modify the hollow axle, would I run into problems with the derailleur not being able to travel over the full range of its 8 cog cassette?
If it's a 5 speed rear wheel it could be 120mm rear spacing in which case a 130 will never go in without modifying the frame. (cold setting)

Top Bottom