Macro photography

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scots_lass

I have just bought a set of extension tubes for my camera so that I can take some close-ups of garden flowers. I have just had my first try and not one picture in focus. Some of this could be helped if I use a tripod but any tips on what f-stop I should be using? Do I shoot on aperture priority or just let the camera do it's own thing. Manual or auto focus? I am a complete beginner so any help will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Take a look here and here

There should be a button for Macro - my Canon has a picture of a tulip (very apt) next to the button. I just press that and then there is a bit of whirring and it goes into focus.

ps - i'm a numpty with camera's!

Norm

A tripod is essential for macro work, IMO. And, if you are outside, you need a tent (opaque, so it doesn't block the light) over the flower to stop it blowing in the breeze. A proper light tent will also help remove shadows from sunlight. Shadows in macro work seem to be much deeper and more noticeable.

Macro photography is very critical of focusing errors, you are looking at just a few mm which will be sharp. To start with, get as much light onto the subject as you can (a ring flash is ideal) and have the aperture as wide as you can.

Top Bottom