Mad, bad , daft route ideas that you've gone out and done.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The Pan Celtic short route in July at the age of 65 sounds a bit skatter brained. But a better choice than the longer route 😁

Screenshot_20230531_060333_Chrome.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
This summer it'll probably be a trip to Bridlington and back on a mid-week day. Unlike club rides I've done these solo, usually to keep fitness for something longer.

Basically I've picked a warm, sunny day, booked leave and headed off.

The plan for 2024 is to make it a multi-day meander somewhere through Scotland. No planning and see where I end up each day.

Sounds good might see if my mate wants to do it in summer holidays or any faster riders on here from Leeds way @colly ?

Jameshow

Veteran
Bradford to verwood in 24hours.

I did it in 30hrs irrc.

Had it not been the hottest day ever in UK (last summer) and had i not broken a spoke and punctured. I reckon I could have done it!

Maybe I should attempt it again this summer.

Lejog in 8 days solo that was a monster ride at the time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In 2021 I was lured by @ColinJ into a hilly route challenge. The twist was that Colin had invented a load of complicated rules around what was allowed route-wise which took hours of planning. Basically it was trying to squash as much climbing into as short a distance as possible without repeating yourself. Using my local SE London hills I got some pretty crazy profiles.
1685523954549.png

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Stafford Road Club used to do the Cystic Fibrosis annual charity ride that started at Brian Rourke's in Stoke and went up the Cat and Fiddle road to Buxton and back to Rourkies for a slap up feed. That route was brilliant. The bad bit was getting to the start from Stafford. Our ride leader took us up the A500 (known locally as the D road) for several miles. The A500 is as fast as the M6 and has as much traffic. It's safe to say we were all, excluding the ride leader I guess, scared witless. After the event he then took us back the same way, down the dreaded A500. However, we did see a cyclist coming down a slip road onto the A500 carrying an ironing board under one arm, therefore riding one handed. If we were taking a risk then it was nothing compared to him. I only ever did that route once.

The 'D road' is an insane road to be pedalling on !

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
20230610_125948.jpg

On holiday sitting on a balcony.
Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria. Very hilly resort , that's understating it. Looking across from us I can see traffic snaking up and over the hill so decided to cycle it the next day.
Only hire bike I could find was a big fairly heavy mountain bike, but the gears were just right for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230611_134725_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_134725_Strava.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2

slow scot

Veteran
Often thought of going from Glasgow over to Belfast. Down the east coast of Ireland and then a ferry over to Brittany .
Might not get past the thinking stage though, but you never know

Did you ever get around to biking up here for a Celtic game at Pittodrie? Mind you, Ross County are a bit further north. Though lucky to still be Premier League.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Feeling ready for it?

Well this week my Elemnt app has taken on a glitch that neither myself or Wahoo can fathom. After several lengthy emails to their technicians. I decided I cannot take the chance of not sorting it and so ordered a Karoo2 which arrived today and I am busy working out how to set that up. I do not have much of clue but I am getting there. This is what happens when you depend on one device for 4 years.

I also have a Garmin 1030. I do not have much clue about that either but I am learning.

I took my bike in to get all the drive train and cables changed. It does not feel right and so thats back in the shop.

My phone dropped out my pocket and the screen looks like a mosaic. On the positive side it is insured and so I can get a new phone for next to nothing.

But my travel plans and accomodation are all in place to get to France. I am as fit as I am going to be at my age and I am in no hurry to get to the end. I intend to bivvy but its no hardship if I do bnbs every night.

The panic is rising at the minute. But if I get to grips with the Karoo and Garmin. I will be fine once I get to France. Failing that I will head North and ride back to Denmark.

Its only a bike ride, after all

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Well this week my Elemnt app has taken on a glitch that neither myself or Wahoo can fathom. After several lengthy emails to their technicians. I decided I cannot take the chance of not sorting it and so ordered a Karoo2 which arrived today and I am busy working out how to set that up. I do not have much of clue but I am getting there. This is what happens when you depend on one device for 4 years.

I also have a Garmin 1030. I do not have much clue about that either but I am learning.

I took my bike in to get all the drive train and cables changed. It does not feel right and so thats back in the shop.

My phone dropped out my pocket and the screen looks like a mosaic. On the positive side it is insured and so I can get a new phone for next to nothing.

But my travel plans and accomodation are all in place to get to France. I am as fit as I am going to be at my age and I am in no hurry to get to the end. I intend to bivvy but its no hardship if I do bnbs every night.

The panic is rising at the minute. But if I get to grips with the Karoo and Garmin. I will be fine once I get to France. Failing that I will head North and ride back to Denmark.

Its only a bike ride, after all

With your Edge you just need to import the gpx into Garmin Connect courses. Then send from Garmin Connect to the Edge. Either via Bluetooth from a paired phone or cable via Garmin Express on a PC or Mac.

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
Did you ever get around to biking up here for a Celtic game at Pittodrie? Mind you, Ross County are a bit further north. Though lucky to still be Premier League.

No.
Away tickets are almost impossible to get now, plus TV means dates and times get changed all the time. Got a couple of football/ Celtic related tours in the planning stage for next year.

But nothing will match the Lisbon Lions tour.

slow scot

Veteran
No.
Away tickets are almost impossible to get now, plus TV means dates and times get changed all the time. Got a couple of football/ Celtic related tours in the planning stage for next year.

But nothing will match the Lisbon Lions tour.

I agree; that Lisbon Lions tour was a wonderful idea. Impossible to think of a European cup winning team today having all its players come from such a small area. Still one of the most memorable games I’ve ever seen.

Top Bottom