Mad, bad , daft route ideas that you've gone out and done.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
I don't suppose I'm the only one on here that drifts off into random route planning, usually when trying to get to sleep.

I had one ( of many ) kicking about in my head for a while before covid .

After we were coming out again I said to my mates we need to do it.
So after some months of planning the route and trying it in sections we finally went out and done it.
The date wasn't up for debate. The Lisbon Lions hometown tour had to be the 25th of May.
Route and picture to follow

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Does riding the southern half of the London -Edinburgh-London route solo a couple of weeks before then riding the event itself count? Minus the last/first 20km using a connecting route which turned out to be across a field?

I tend to do a 200+ mile ride to the coast each summer as well, route-finding as I go. That method doesn't always end well ...

Big John

Guru
Stafford Road Club used to do the Cystic Fibrosis annual charity ride that started at Brian Rourke's in Stoke and went up the Cat and Fiddle road to Buxton and back to Rourkies for a slap up feed. That route was brilliant. The bad bit was getting to the start from Stafford. Our ride leader took us up the A500 (known locally as the D road) for several miles. The A500 is as fast as the M6 and has as much traffic. It's safe to say we were all, excluding the ride leader I guess, scared witless. After the event he then took us back the same way, down the dreaded A500. However, we did see a cyclist coming down a slip road onto the A500 carrying an ironing board under one arm, therefore riding one handed. If we were taking a risk then it was nothing compared to him. I only ever did that route once.

Leeds to Blackburn on the Leeds<>Liverpool canal in winter.

Didn't have the right tyres, was very wet and muddy. Around Skipton I clambered across some fields to get off some of the worst sections. It's a great scenic route on the right bike but this was a slog.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Leeds to Blackburn on the Leeds<>Liverpool canal in winter.

Didn't have the right tyres, was very wet and muddy. Around Skipton I clambered across some fields to get off some of the worst sections. It's a great scenic route on the right bike but this was a slog.
I feel your pain! I like to plan things so there will be no nasty surprises but canal towpaths are just so unpredictable. They can be unexpectedly excellent near towns but it's in the lap of the gods everywhere else. Estimate a time for the route, then double it.

ExBrit

Über Member
I took my Brompton mountain biking. It turned out to be an extraordinarily bad idea.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiaQfaKELFk

1685470584471.png

Jameshow

Veteran
Does riding the southern half of the London -Edinburgh-London route solo a couple of weeks before then riding the event itself count? Minus the last/first 20km using a connecting route which turned out to be across a field?

I tend to do a 200+ mile ride to the coast each summer as well, route-finding as I go. That method doesn't always end well ...

Where are you going this summer?
Does anyone join you.
Sounds like a great day out!

Route and picture to follow
Have you forgotten something?

Here's mine.......

A beautiful mountain road......

Dumb1.jpg

Turned into a horsetrack.......
Dumb 2.jpg

Going was so slow I had to camp in the jungle for the night.......
Yep, that's the actual angle I slept at....... what you're not seeing is the torrential storm that hit during the night nor the ants that were busy eating their way inside......
Dumb3.jpg

This was a fast bit! ^_^
Dumb 4.jpg

Some friendly Cowboys slung my panniers on their saddles and saved my ass!
Dumb5.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Where are you going this summer?
Does anyone join you.
Sounds like a great day out!

This summer it'll probably be a trip to Bridlington and back on a mid-week day. Unlike club rides I've done these solo, usually to keep fitness for something longer.

Basically I've picked a warm, sunny day, booked leave and headed off.

The plan for 2024 is to make it a multi-day meander somewhere through Scotland. No planning and see where I end up each day.

presta

Guru
the Leeds<>Liverpool canal.....Around Skipton
That was where I slipped and came off (in summer), not in the drink though. I stayed on the Lancaster canal after it left the city, that was a mistake, it turns inot a quagmire outside the built up area, and I had to abandon the Kennet & Avon near Aldermaston when the path turned into deep loose gravel that the wheels were just sinking into. I love the K&A from Bath to Trowbridge though, easy going and very attractive, and if you keep going as far as Devizes, Caen Hill locks are spectacular.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
I'm hoping to go round the Glasgow underground stations by road soon.
A small scale fund raiser.
How many miles + how many minutes , guessing game.

Only 15 stops in the circle. It's a popular pub crawl now.
15 stops, 15 pubs, 15 drinks.

I'm not planning on having any booze.

Top Bottom