1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

made me giggle

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Arch, 15 Aug 2007.

1. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Just hearing the 11.30 comedy on Radio 4 and this scene made me laugh:

Victorian Papa returns to children Pip, Poppy and Pippa after time away.
    After lots of "Pip!" "Papa!" "Poppy!" "Papa!" etc it goes:

"Pip, Poppy and Pippa, I bring you gifts!"
    "Gifts, Papa?"
    "Yes, for Poppy, a puppy"
    "A puppy, Papa!"
    "Yes, a puppy, Poppy. And for Pip, a pipe!"
    "A pipe, papa?"
    "A pipe, Pip. And for Pippa...

...an anvil"

I've heard it several times in the trailer and it makes me laugh every time, even when I know what's coming.

2. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

wot no smut?

damn, there goes the 1000 mark. looks like i'm hard on your tail arch :sad: :biggrin: :thumbsup: ;)

3. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

I must be fick! I don't get it!

4. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Can't say it made me laugh, Arch, I'll join Melvil in the fick club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

probably an example of exquisite comic timing that doesn't really make the transition to the written word easily.

6. Nothing wrong with a little alliteration among the illiterate Arch...;)

7. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Pipe down, you're giving me the pip.

8. monnet

monnet Über Member

I enjoyed it Arch, although I'm annoyed I missed the play. I heard the trailer this morning and made a mental note to listen then got tied up with work. Was the rest of it as good? I might see if it's on listen again.

9. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Veteran

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/

On the right hand side "Bleak Expectations"

10. OP
    OP
    Arch

Thank god! Maybe it doesn't translate to writing too well - needs reading out loud. The point being that as almost every word so far has started with the sound 'p', the 'anvil' is not only an incongruous present for a young girl, but fails to fulfill the expectation of a final 'p' sound....

Yeah, I though it was fun - there's a gag about a man so well connected that his hyphenated name takes 20 minutes to say, the joke being that he's a lawyer who charges by the hour, so just saying "Good day, Mr...." costs a fortune...

And the reporter who's invented a portable wax cyclinder recording device - the i-wax..

11. OP
    OP
    Arch

Oh, and you should be able to listen again, it's on Today's Choice on the R4 homepage...

12. roshi chris

roshi chris New Member

Good grief. No offense Arch but I hope that is about a million times funnier on the radio than in text, otherwise I'd have to hunt down the person who wrote it and execute them for crimes against comedy.

13. OP
    OP
    Arch

Each to their own, I guess. I don't always laugh at the jokes posted up here...

And yes, it works better verbally than in text. I wish I'd never bothered now, I wore my 'p' key out typing it...

14. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Veteran

I heard it - I thought it was amusing, and very reminicient of the "Ripping Yarns" school of comedy. Well worth a listen if you like Monty Python-esque stuff

Andrew

15. OP
    OP
    Arch

Yes, Ripping Yarns is a good comparison...