made me giggle

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Just hearing the 11.30 comedy on Radio 4 and this scene made me laugh:

Victorian Papa returns to children Pip, Poppy and Pippa after time away.
After lots of "Pip!" "Papa!" "Poppy!" "Papa!" etc it goes:

"Pip, Poppy and Pippa, I bring you gifts!"
"Gifts, Papa?"
"Yes, for Poppy, a puppy"
"A puppy, Papa!"
"Yes, a puppy, Poppy. And for Pip, a pipe!"
"A pipe, papa?"
"A pipe, Pip. And for Pippa...

...an anvil"

I've heard it several times in the trailer and it makes me laugh every time, even when I know what's coming.
 

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Moderator
wot no smut?

damn, there goes the 1000 mark. looks like i'm hard on your tail arch :sad: :biggrin: :thumbsup: ;)
 

monnet

Über Member
I enjoyed it Arch, although I'm annoyed I missed the play. I heard the trailer this morning and made a mental note to listen then got tied up with work. Was the rest of it as good? I might see if it's on listen again.
 

cisamcgu

Guru
Location
Merseyside-ish
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/

On the right hand side "Bleak Expectations"
 
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
monnet said:
I enjoyed it Arch, although I'm annoyed I missed the play. I heard the trailer this morning and made a mental note to listen then got tied up with work. Was the rest of it as good? I might see if it's on listen again.

Thank god! Maybe it doesn't translate to writing too well - needs reading out loud. The point being that as almost every word so far has started with the sound 'p', the 'anvil' is not only an incongruous present for a young girl, but fails to fulfill the expectation of a final 'p' sound....

Yeah, I though it was fun - there's a gag about a man so well connected that his hyphenated name takes 20 minutes to say, the joke being that he's a lawyer who charges by the hour, so just saying "Good day, Mr...." costs a fortune...

And the reporter who's invented a portable wax cyclinder recording device - the i-wax..
 

roshi chris

New Member
Location
London
Good grief. No offense Arch but I hope that is about a million times funnier on the radio than in text, otherwise I'd have to hunt down the person who wrote it and execute them for crimes against comedy.
 
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
roshi chris said:
Good grief. No offense Arch but I hope that is about a million times funnier on the radio than in text, otherwise I'd have to hunt down the person who wrote it and execute them for crimes against comedy.

Each to their own, I guess. I don't always laugh at the jokes posted up here...

And yes, it works better verbally than in text. I wish I'd never bothered now, I wore my 'p' key out typing it...
 

cisamcgu

Guru
Location
Merseyside-ish
I heard it - I thought it was amusing, and very reminicient of the "Ripping Yarns" school of comedy. Well worth a listen if you like Monty Python-esque stuff

Andrew
 
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
cisamcgu said:
I heard it - I thought it was amusing, and very reminicient of the "Ripping Yarns" school of comedy. Well worth a listen if you like Monty Python-esque stuff

Andrew
Yes, Ripping Yarns is a good comparison...
 
Top Bottom