Made my own stubby wheel spanner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
The stubby spanners are called "aero wrenches" - I assume that the short length is in part to make sure that stuff isn't tightened up too much given that there a lot of aluminium in aeroplanes?

Rob

andrew_s

Legendary Member
however I'm going to use the 'assisted torque' method of loosening the nut if required... standing on it....what could possibly go wrong?:B)
If you anticipate standing on it, take the ring half with you.
The open jaws will slip off easier, and it's likely that it will have to be positioned pointing too far up or down for comfort.

I used a peanut butter wrench when I used a fixie with wheel nuts

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another expensive solution is buy a Rohloff hub with a quick release.

I've never fully understood why Shimano use nutted axles if Rohloff can manage with a quick release.

Mine is a factory installation, but the drop outs, while no doubt designed for the job, don't look anything special.

12boy

Guru
Two stubbies for two tool rolls, the one with the light colored handle a ground out 9/16ths.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_091141.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091141.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200123_091259.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091259.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Definitely looks too short to be able to apply a decent amount of torque. I wouldn't have cut the bit out of the middle myself, and if those spanners were mine, I would carry a piece of flattened steel tube/electrical conduit to slip over the handle to increase the length of the lever and the amount of torque.
Using your foot on the end of a spanner to increase the force is not always a good idea; I once cracked a bone in my foot doing that with a huge adjustable spanner which already had a scaffold pipe extension over it.
I have a set of stubby combination spanners branded "Forge Steel" - which IIRC came from either Screwfix or Toolstation. They won't be the absolute best quality, as they were pretty cheap, but mine have seen quite a lot of use and are perfectly adequate for use on a push bike.

Top Bottom