Madeira.......anyone had a holiday there ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Been offered a nice villa for 2 weeks (I have to pay for it :smile: ). It does look nice but I know absolutely nothing about the island
Got a book on Portugal which gives some info'.........but "horses mouth" is always best.
Anyone with ideas?? (sensible ones if possible :rolleyes: )

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm going next year, my parents have a timeshare

They love it.

Weather very good all year round, not really hot apparently but always in mid twenties

Downside is it's quite costly to fly there, avoid Mondays which is the timeshare week start day. I believe it's also quite expensive to eat and drink out, more so with weak pound

You could get a book specifically about Madeira?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...vtargid=kwd-3262401307&ref=pd_sl_7zk1boo0h9_e
High street retailers also available for browsing and purchase :smile:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm going next year, my parents have a timeshare

They love it.

Weather very good all year round, not really hot apparently but always in mid twenties

Downside is it's quite costly to fly there, avoid Mondays which is the timeshare week start day. I believe it's also quite expensive to eat and drink out, more so with weak pound

You could get a book specifically about Madeira?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...vtargid=kwd-3262401307&ref=pd_sl_7zk1boo0h9_e
High street retailers also available for browsing and purchase :smile:

I assume you have done some research before agreeing to go. What sort of things do you expect/plan/hope to do ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I assume you have done some research before agreeing to go. What sort of things do you expect/plan/hope to do ?
Me? My parents have their timeshare for a month next year, I'm going to go for 10 days to chill with them. No research done. Free holiday more or less

postman

Legendary Member
Just checking direct flights to Madeira five airlines ,well Monarch is on but now have gone.So flying choices are four,should be a piece of cake to get a flight.

I'll get my coat.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Been there years ago. Beautiful place. Lovely food and drink too!

vickster

Legendary Member
Just checking direct flights to Madeira five airlines ,well Monarch is on but now have gone.So flying choices are four,should be a piece of cake to get a flight.

I'll get my coat.
Expect to pay £300+ Pp at peak times or on a Monday...from London. When is the villa available?

Went there for a day trip about 40 years ago, dont remember much apart from bananas growing in gardens by roadside.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Been there for three holidays in the last 4(?) years, always off-season in Jan/Feb/Mar, apart from last year when Mrs Poacher snaffled a 3-week stay over Christmas and New Year - New Year's eve firework display is legendary, and didn't disappoint.
One of the main attractions is walking along the system of levadas, essentially irrigation canals to transfer water from the wetter North to the drier South (you've probably found this out already from your Portugal book). Many of these are benign and easy walking; some are vertiginous, clinging to the side of mountains to follow the contours, and some are genuinely lethal, with sheer drops of hundreds of feet from a broken concrete parapet with no safety rail. Look on YouTube for e.g. levada do curral, levada do norte if you want to scare yourself. Even some of the regular tourist levadas can have frightening sections - the otherwise benign levada dos tornos has a stretch with ~70 ft drops onto rocks from an 18" wide concrete path if you start from where it leaves a tunnel near Monte (avoidable by a safe but strenuous descent and ascent). If you fancy levada walking (and why wouldn't you?) there are many organised trips, which are great for some of the less accessible walks, but if you prefer to do your own thing I recommend the Cicerone guide by Paddy Dillon and the Rother walking guide by Rolf Goetz. The Madeira Tour & Trail map (1:40,000 scale) by Shirley & Mike Whitehead is invaluable even if you don't intend striking out on your own, just to understand the geography.
Madeira is spectacularly mountainous for such a relatively small island - don't hire a car for exploration unless and until you've got the feel of the place - steep and winding roads. Fortunately the bus services are cheap and wide-ranging (we went from Funchal to Porto Moniz and back via a different route for 12 euros - not far on the map, but 3 hours+ each way, and be sure not to miss the bus, 'cos there won't be another one!). Funchal is naturally the focus of bus routes - if you're not in easy reach of Funchal your options will be very limited. If you're near or in Funchal, get a prepaid Giro ticket and add to it as necessary; it's much cheaper and easier than pay-per-journey. Bus journeys outside Funchal are provided by SAM to the East and Rodoeste to the West, with some by the Horarios do Funchal which does the urban network. To make sense of the various options, TJWalking produce a useful summary booklet.
Eating out can be expensive in the evening but reasonably cheap around mid-day - I particularly recommend Armazem do Sal. Since you're in a villa I'll assume you'll be cooking at home at least part of the time - locate your local Pingo Doce supermarket for best value.
For road cycling info see YACF thread. If you want any more detailed info on walk recommendations or birdwatching feel free to PM me.

Various possibly useful links:
http://www.bluedome.co.uk/madeira/index.html
http://www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/index.html
http://madeiraislanddirect.com/blog/

HTH

Top Bottom