Maffetone Method.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
It does depend what your goals are ultimately, but you do know that Maffetone method has been shown to fail to produce the training results he has promised, don't you?

It may be a good way to stay healthy, but if you want to improve performance, you will need a high intensity component, as well as the low intensity stuff, which Maffetone believed (erroneously) would deliver improvements on it's own.

His method for identifying the correct training zone (age formula) is generic and highly likely to result in individuals working in entirely different HRmax percentage zones. HRmax is NOT directly correlated to either age or fitness.

I am not going to even comment on the carb experiment...

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I've also upped my mileage on the way home from work on my bike, due to the lower pace. I've gone from 7.5 miles to just under 10.
But tonight when i got home, i went straight out for a run, and it's the first time i've struggled to stay below 140 beats per minute.
It just seemed so much slower tonight! Must have been the heat. I'm usually an early morning runner.
The heart rate thing has slowed me right down, and i'm loving it!

I usually allow 5-10 bpm for heat, I record the temperature against my training sessions. I can understand that high GI foods like potatoes would make you feel dopey, but an hour or two later it should be back to normal. Fructose can bypass the insulin response system so you should not get the same effect from fruit and some carb drinks.

I think Maffetone has his place to play in training but like most things taking only one aspect in isolation does not yeild best results. Long slow sessions have their place to play in training but you still need muscular endurance, lactic threshold and V02 max type stuff to get to optimal perfomance. Emphasising the aspect you need for your sport, whether you are a sprinter or randoneur.

VamP

Banned
I usually allow 5-10 bpm for heat, I record the temperature against my training sessions. I can understand that high GI foods like potatoes would make you feel dopey, but an hour or two later it should be back to normal. Fructose can bypass the insulin response system so you should not get the same effect from fruit and some carb drinks.

I think Maffetone has his place to play in training but like most things taking only one aspect in isolation does not yeild best results. Long slow sessions have their place to play in training but you still need muscular endurance, lactic threshold and V02 max type stuff to get to optimal perfomance. Emphasising the aspect you need for your sport, whether you are a sprinter or randoneur.

I agree with this, but would add that Maffetone's USP is that the low intensity stuff is sufficient by itself. Which has not been supported by research.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
It does depend what your goals are ultimately, but you do know that Maffetone method has been shown to fail to produce the training results he has promised, don't you?

It may be a good way to stay healthy, but if you want to improve performance, you will need a high intensity component, as well as the low intensity stuff, which Maffetone believed (erroneously) would deliver improvements on it's own.

His method for identifying the correct training zone (age formula) is generic and highly likely to result in individuals working in entirely different HRmax percentage zones. HRmax is NOT directly correlated to either age or fitness.

I am not going to even comment on the carb experiment...

Why not? I started the thread for feedback.

pkeenan

Über Member
I think this sounds interesting, and look forward to reading how this is for you (@Trevrev) some time from now.
My Mum has, by medical advice, had to stop eating starchy foods - which I think essentially means she's cut out carbs. She's repeatedly told me of how much better she feels, not just in relation to the medical reason that prompted this, but in general - she feels healthier and livelier.
My Mum is not physically active, really - though knows her body (was a professional ballerina), and she knows this is doing her good, so there is obviously something to be said for what you are doing.

What I question is how it relates to increase of performance in a sporting discipline? It's been raised on this thread already, but it doesn't seem to address things as @Arsen Gere mentioned in post #17.
I'm not trying to 'catch you (or anybody) out' - but would certainly appreciate some explanation in some sort of way, as I am interested to know more.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I think this sounds interesting, and look forward to reading how this is for you (@Trevrev) some time from now.
My Mum has, by medical advice, had to stop eating starchy foods - which I think essentially means she's cut out carbs. She's repeatedly told me of how much better she feels, not just in relation to the medical reason that prompted this, but in general - she feels healthier and livelier.
My Mum is not physically active, really - though knows her body (was a professional ballerina), and she knows this is doing her good, so there is obviously something to be said for what you are doing.

What I question is how it relates to increase of performance in a sporting discipline? It's been raised on this thread already, but it doesn't seem to address things as @Arsen Gere mentioned in post #17.
I'm not trying to 'catch you (or anybody) out' - but would certainly appreciate some explanation in some sort of way, as I am interested to know more.

http://philmaffetone.com/180formula.cfm
Have a read.
The main reason i'm doing it, i don't compete in running or cycling. I just want to stay fit and healthy.
I like the idea of running slower, and burning fat.
But to be honest, the diet thing, i really find interesting.

VamP

Banned
Why not? I started the thread for feedback.

Bizarrely I answered this but now my answer is not here :wacko:

Anyways, what I'd said was that although I am not quallified to comment, I find the method of working out which carbs may be problematic for you non-objective, coming out of ketosis as you are there'll be so many strange feelings - good and bad - that I would not trust my ability to evaluate the impact of a single food group.

lulubel

Über Member
The thing about this program, it's meant to make you feel good. It helps you find the food to eat that is kind to your body, if you eat something and it takes away your energy, then it's not good for you, so avoid it.

This isn't always the case. If you've been depriving yourself for some time of something that your body needs, the first time you re-introduce it, your body can feel like it's shutting everything else down and practically sending you to sleep so it can focus all its energies on digesting the food.

I've experienced this a few times first hand because my diet was very bad for a while when I was younger. (When I first became vegetarian, my protein intake dropped extremely low. I felt fine, but as soon as I had a proper meal with plenty of protein, I'd be collapsed and nearly asleep within half an hour of eating it.)

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Bizarrely I answered this but now my answer is not here :wacko:

Anyways, what I'd said was that although I am not quallified to comment, I find the method of working out which carbs may be problematic for you non-objective, coming out of ketosis as you are there'll be so many strange feelings - good and bad - that I would not trust my ability to evaluate the impact of a single food group.

Valid points, but as i've started the test, i really must see it through.
Ketosis is a strange thing thats for sure.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I totally love the idea of of getting all your energy from your body fat. It makes sense really. But that means being on a low carb diet all the time. You need to eat fat to burn fat, lots of protein.
But, then on the other hand, too much protein is linked to certain cancers, and low carbing is meant to be very unhealthy after long periods. Depending on what website you're reading.

pkeenan

Über Member
I totally love the idea of of getting all your energy from your body fat. It makes sense really. But that means being on a low carb diet all the time. You need to eat fat to burn fat, lots of protein.
But, then on the other hand, too much protein is linked to certain cancers, and low carbing is meant to be very unhealthy after long periods. Depending on what website you're reading.

Slightly amused that you say this, as on this thread (I'm sure you've read it, as it's a neighbouring thread!) the conversation is about the BBC Horizon episode broadcast this week, in which it talks about lowering the amount of protein.

As you say, depends where your information comes from.

Top Bottom