Magnetic trainer readings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

I've got a magnetic elite super crono trainer and managed to get the wahoo apps synching and wahoo synched to Strava at last. The problem is the indoor readings bear little resemblance to outdoor riding in terms of effort. So as an example, I indoor cycled for 1 hour and 10 mins yesterday, average cadence 65, average speed 5.4mph. I then got off the bike thinking that a bike ride outdoors would have been no effort to get those readings and yet I was feeling wasted! So it makes little sense uploading it to Strava if it isn't comparable or builds in the resistance factor? Also, is there a way to get calories incorporated?

Thanks

Matt

Sharky

Guru
Something's wrong with those numbers. At cadence of 65, you must be achieving somewhere between 10 to 20 mph, depending on gear size. 5.4 mph seems very low.
Cadence also seems low for an indoor trainer. Excluding warm up/cool down, I would be hoping for between 80 - 100 rpm.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Something is very amiss. It's a non-smart' trainer so where have you get the resistance. Things like Zwift suggest level 3 out of 5 for use with dumb trainers whilst using Zwift. Your cadence is low -

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In the real world, 65 rpm and 5.4 mph is not unreasonable if you're grinding your way up a big hill in a low gear. By my calculations you'd get that speed with a 28" gear, or roughly a 34/32 combination. The figures aren't bonkers, but they're a bit odd for an entire turbo session of one hour.

Did you have your resistance set to max, simulating a great big incline all the way? (NB I know nothing about the capabilities of your trainer, so that might be a stupid question).

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
The cable to it doesn't work so I just use my own gears which work fine but only in gear 3 and 4 as the resistance is a lot more than the road at those levels. Maybe that's the reason?

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Have you calibrated the trainer? Trainers need calibrating so that the readings are matched to the resistance on the wheel.
How do I do that? It's just a simple thing with no readings and the cable is cut so the resistance can't be changed (maybe why it was cheap). As I said I change the resistance through my gears and even gear 3 is about 4 times harder than it would be on the road. Perhaps I need a new trainer but its made me lose 2.5 kgs in a few months so I guess it serves a purpose. I just want some more reallistic readings on strava.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
I've looked into the set up more as I bought it second hand with no manual. Aside from me completely stupid and not realising you need to turn the screw once the wheel is in place to achieve the locking, I was wondering about the wheel position.

So I found a you tube video supporting this trainer. The trainer screws look to be in the 29 inch holes rather than the 26 or 28 so I went to check the wheel but it doesn't state (See attached photos). A quick tape measure across the diameter tyre to tyre doesn't even reach 28 I think although not exact as you can't run the tape measure through the middle. Does this matter/affect anything?

Attachments

• 20200218_103902 (Copy).jpg
    20200218_103902 (Copy).jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200218_103913 (Copy).jpg
    20200218_103913 (Copy).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200218_103924 (Copy).jpg
    20200218_103924 (Copy).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200218_104143 (Copy).jpg
    20200218_104143 (Copy).jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Arh I see. What's the flaw in these workings then? I ran a tape measure all the way around the tyre (on the ground facing edge) and it was 216 cm. So 216 / 3.1415 = diameter of 68.7549 cm / 2.54 = 27.07 inches say 27 inches.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
So I went to the bike shop to buy a new bike pump and took my training wheel. The man in the shop said the wheel was 28 inches although he then said it could be 29 with bigger tyres etc. The whole measurement thing is too confusing!

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
So 7 rides later since 14th Feb my time today was 1 hr 15 mins, average cadence 77, average speed 7.2, improving I think. Question, on my wahoo readings can you have average cadence so I can aim to beat 77, it just gives you the cadence of the 'moment'. I looked at the other display screen shots it offers but none seem to do it, happy to be corrected?

Top Bottom