Magura HS11 brake pad replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astrocan

Veteran
I have a Kalkhoff electric bike which has Magura HS11 hydraulic rim brakes. The levers were coming pretty close to the bars before any braking effect so I turned in the pad wear adjuster at the lever but there wasn't much adjustment left. I got some new pads (thanks SJS) but TBH there was still quite a bit of meat left on the old ones. If they had been cable brakes I would have adjusted them up and got some more use out of them.
When the new pads had been fitted I adjusted them up to be much tighter but seem to have used a fair chunk of the adjustment that is available. The calipers can be adjusted for height, pitch and yaw but not reach so it seems that there is no option but to use most of the adjustment to get decent performance and then bin the pads when they are half worn which sits uneasily with my tightwad tendencies.
There isn't a bleed issue, when adjusted they are ram tight, I just thought that I might be missing something.
I've looked for tutorials but for some reason they are all rubbish, even the one's in English.
Cheers m'dears

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
You're not missing anything.
What looks like half worn is apparently worn out!
That's just the way they were/are.

D

Deleted member 26715

Son had a set (I think) definitely Magura's spent ages trying to get them to work properly, eventually did for about 2 days, they were great, then suddenly for no apparent reason they became adequate again. It's a few years ago, but I think it was all to do with the adjustment of the brackets to get the pads as close to the rim as possible.

It also might be worth @figbat says try reverse bleeding them from the caliper back to the MC

Top Bottom