Maillot verte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Forget the Yellow jersey, to me green jersey or maillot verte is what its all about and is won by the most exciting riders in Le Tour. If you look on Wikipedia and read the history and the magnificent list of brilliant, exiting riders who have won it like Abdoujaparov, Boonen, Zabel , Ludwig, Kelly, Van Poppel, Van der Arden you see what I mean. I am proud to own a Castelli maillot verte which I found in a charity shop and can't wait for the green jersey competition to start when Le Tour starts next month.

Keith Oates

Janner
How long before we can add Cavendish to that list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mangaman

I think the green jersey is the most boring of the competitions I'm afraid

Win a few boring bunch sprints in the first week and the last day and then be completely anonymous for the mountain / TT stages

I think the list of riders that have won the yellow jersey is even more full of brilliant exciting riders

Still - hope Cav will win the green eventually. I was impressed that he made it to the end of the Giro at his age...

Chris James

Über Member
I must admit I am with mangaman. Watching someone get towed along all day to suddenly appear with 200 yards to go isn't exciting to me.

The again, my preference is for climbers. But usually the yellow jersey is won by the most consistent time trialler, whihc is hardly fascinating either!

The Rasmussen / Contador battle in the last TdF was one of the most fascinating for ages as both were superb in the hills. Obvioulsy the whole event descended into a drug taking disaster zone, but it was certainly compulsive viewing even if at least one of them had been doped up to the eyeballs to get into that position.

kennykool

Keith Oates said:
How long before we can add Cavendish to that list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very soon hopefully - I was willing him to win the second stage at last years tour that finished in Canterbury - I was there watching. If only he hadn't been knocked off his bike by a spectator reckon he would have given McEwan a run for his money.

He done well at Giro so lets hope he carries that form through into the Tour - even if he is only there for the first week

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Chris James said:
Icompulsive viewing even if at least one of them had been doped up to the eyeballs to get into that position.

......at least one........:blush::ohmy::ohmy: What are you implying?:biggrin:

I agree, yellow or polka dot for me.

Tetedelacourse

Yellow comes first ALWAYS, but the polkas and the vert (of which I have one) provide welcome entertainment of a different sort. Bunch sprints are brilliant to watch. Now the young rider jersey, THAT's dull!

I just love the whole thing though, can't wait!

Top Bottom