Maintain your bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dmccart32

Hi all,

Apart from the people who service their own bikes, for market research purposes, please can you let me know whether you would consider purchasing maintenance and servicing package for a new or used bike?

Package: Maintaining and servicing your new or used bike over the course of a year for as little as £8.99 per month?
It would include the following:
  • Full service worth £60 (1 per year)
  • One £50 voucher towards bespoke work or additional service (1 per year)
  • Services & work would be carried out either at home, workplace or independent local bike shop.
  • Discount on bicycle insurance, clothing and accessories
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lincov

That doesn't strike me as a particularly good deal. If it included unlimited work then I'd consider it!

SWSteve

Guru
If I paid £8.99 a month I would want 1 full service and unlimited work. For £50 I can get a full service and the labour for any additional work that comes as a result (parts are extra) so why should I have to pay £8 more than two services

Davidc

Guru
On the bike I bought new (mtb for just over £200, rrp £300) I got lifetime servicing, 4 per year, included. That also includes minor maintenance labour only.

I hardly use it but others certainly do, and pay for other work for much less than suggested above.

The free services are at the shop and the bike has to be taken there.

I suspect the people who ride their bikes so much that it needs regular maintenance are also people who know how to do it. I don't like others touching my bikes.

fossala

Guru
I think the only way you could charge nearly a tenner a month for a service plan would be if all servicing was included, otherwise there would be no point of having a monthly plan...

D

Deleted member 23692

No from me.

What's the service comprised of? I assume it'll be 'check and adjust' the basics only, and any replacement parts/other work will incur further parts and labour charges? I'd be interested to see what you're offering for £60

£8.99 x 12 = £107.88, for which you are offering £110 worth of service, So I'd be saving £2.12, which for me is not worth being tied into a yearly contract - unless you were offering a very comprehensive discount package, which is rarely the case.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My LBS reset my gears when needed for only £5. So no need for a contract.

Sara_H

Guru
I suspect the people who ride their bikes so much that it needs regular maintenance are also people who know how to do it. I don't like others touching my bikes.

Not me, I've been a regular rider for 15 years and only learnt how to change an inner tube last year. I have no idea how to service/repair a bicycle.`

Whiskey88

Not the best deal at all.

Halfords (let's forget for a moment that they don't really know much when it comes to bikes) offer maintenance cover for 4 bikes for £80/year, which based on your figure of £9/month would save £352 vice your service. (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_239063_langId_-1_categoryId_228854)

In terms of insurance, I've just taken out a policy to cover against theft, damage etc and it cost me £50 for a year. Therefore even if I were to take out your policy for the discount, it still wouldn't be saving me money.

When it comes to fixing and maintaning my bike, I tend to do most of the work myself. Only the most complicated issues go to the bike shop, and they're extremely rare.

For what's been shown, I might pay £1 per month, but anything over that would put me off.

Top Bottom