Maintaining your bicycle in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vijaysahay

I bought an Schwinn Sporterra from the Track and Trail a month back. I have become overly possessive about it. I actually keep it in my room to make sure nothing happens to it! But that's complete madness that I accept, lol. Though I need suggestions of how to maintain my cycle and how to keep in good condition in all weathers. Need recommendations

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hi Vijay, I guess you're in India and it's rainy season? Well, be grateful that they don't put salt on the roads as they do here in winter to melt the ice.

Is this your bike? http://www.trackandtrail.in/Sportera-Sport.asp

You are right to keep the bike in your room, in fact if I was you I would chain it to a bolt in the wall as well. On Indian roads the bike is going to get quite muddy so it wouldn't do any harm to rinse it down after a wet ride with warm soapy water and a sponge, flushing the sponge frequently to remove grit. Don't use dishwash liquid because it contains salt as a thickener and certainly don't use detergent powder, car shampoo would be best if you could get some. If not then something like a diluted floor cleaner is probably least harmful.

After washing you need to dry it off, pulling the chain backwards through an old rag to dry it. Lube the chain with chain lubricant or a water-dispersing spray. If you can't get those I would use a very light oil such as sold for sewing machines or electric clippers, wiping off any excess. Keep the wheel rims clean and inspect the brake blocks for embedded grit and black dirt, which is a paste of rubber and aluminium. After that, give all the metal parts a general wipe over with the same oily cloth you used to remove excess oil from the chain. Keep the room well ventilated to keep humidity down if you can.

Tell us a bit more about riding in India, we'd love to read about your experiences.

Aman.v

Hi Vijaysahay, I can understand your feeling. I used to be the same when I got my bike. But realized it was getting insanity and possessive about the bike. About the maintenance of the bike. Water from above is pretty clean and harmless. It’s the oil/grit/rubber emulsion from the road that gums up your bike. Fenders will protect you and the bike from this muck, and avoid that charming brown stripe on your lower back. A helmet peak will keep rain of your glasses. In warm rain, its best to get wet.
In cool rain, wear a waterproof, but you have to modulate your work-rate so as not to sweat. In cold rain add rain pants, you need to pay special attention to your feet, either neoprene over boots, gortex under-socks, or more sensible, keep the darned water out in the first place with waterproof boots.
Wear bright colors, lights if necessary, keep your rims dry with braking, and maintain extra stopping distance

Top Bottom