Maintenance kit for short semi supported tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have I forgotten anything?

Short UK 4 day "tour" upcoming.

Usual kit will be on the bikes (there are 4 of us) i.e spare tubes, pump, tyre levers, Co2, repair kit, chain-tool, quick links, multi tools, cable ties, plus any waterproofs extra layers etc

Our luggage (Limited to 15kg in one bag) gets picked up in the morning and dropped off to that night accommodation, so thought I would put with that lot:
extra tubes and CO2
squirt lube and a rag or two for rub down and top up
spare inner brake and gear cables and cutters - just in case.

I have checked over all 4 bikes, replaced some cables and fitted new brake pads where needed (and put together one bike from scratch but that's a different story!) so reasonable confident all is in good order. In case of total "disaster" the company will come and rescue with a "hire" bike. Its also nowhere remote so can buy stuff if needed on route.

Would anyone suggest anything else to have there in the evening in the "just in case category"?

Sharky

Guru
Lights?, spare batteries?
Zip ties, electrical tape (never know when something needs holding together)

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm setting off in a few days and have compared my list with yours.

I do without CO2.

In addition I have:
Zip ties.
A lock.
Lights.
Credit card.
A rag.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes lights and cafe locks on bikes and big lock(s) in transfer luggage was a given.

Spare battery / USB charger cable added to list (although hopefully wont be needing lights, but doesn't harm). Power bank for phones might also be prudent.

good shout on insulation tape

that fibre fix thing looks very neat, I wasn't aware of those. My first instinct was this was something for Hobbes on his "days in the wilderness" type tours. But in the rare occurrences that you break a spoke, that's a very need solution to keep the wheel true until you get home / to an LBS even on a day ride. :okay:

13 rider

Guru
Don't over think it , list sounds fine if all 4 bikes run the same size tyre I might take a spare but if multiple sizes probably wouldn't bother . If the worst happens you have a rescue plan
Have fun
Question how many miles ?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Water bottles?

You are basically riding your bikes as shod for an everyday ride, so there’s not too much to think about mechanically assuming the bikes get used reasonably frequently. You could just go over the bikes and make sure no loose bolts. Oh and gear and brake cables are so light I’d just carry them. If a brake or gear cable breaks, you want the replacement then, not another 30 miles of hills later.

What is your means of navigation? Do you have the phone numbers of the person transporting your luggage, plus names and phone numbers and postcodes of your accommodation?

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Water bottles?

You are basically riding your bikes as shod for an everyday ride, so there’s not too much to think about mechanically assuming the bikes get used reasonably frequently.

What is your means of navigation? Do you have the phone numbers of the person transporting your luggage, plus names and phone numbers and postcodes of your accommodation

yes obvs water bottles and yes bikes are our regular rides, it was more of what that usually lives in the shed, should I consider taking in the overnight bag?

routes are on 2x garmins, (charge cables in overnight bags) and yes to contacts sentence.

re spokes - my brommie had a broken spoke for about 2 years but wheel was still true!

skip the CO2 and take a decent pump
no thanks I'll take both, for the space they take up, much more convenient for roadside repair, then replace with proper air once back to track pump in the evening.

Question how many miles ?
200ish over 4 days, mostly road or decent surface path, with a little bit of light offroad, so on the gravel bikes.

Top Bottom