Maintenance Service London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AmNat

Any recommendations for a good bike maintenance service in London (NW1)? It would make my life easier if someone could call round every month or two to look over my bicycle. Changing the chain and realigning the gears seem to need doing fairly often. It's kept in a bike hangar so I have no intention of ever owning a bike worth more than about £500. It doesn't really work for me to take it to a bike store as then I have to walk home and have no bike for a day, so best if a mechanic could call round. If he has to take it away, that's a problem too, as it will take too long. And parking is a hassle, so he has to cycle here really. Or maybe the idea doesn't work and it would be better to get a new bike every couple of years?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Changing the chain and realigning the gears seem to need doing fairly often.
Given this is CycleChat, please share why you think this. How many miles are you doing a month? Do you find the gears go out of alignment progressively or suddenly?

:welcome:

Reactions: C R

Sharky

Guru
The saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", very much applies to bikes. Check your bike for working brakes, tyre pressures, and any abnormal wobbly bits on the bike, every time you go for a ride. Otherwise, regular servicing is not really necessary. Only need to go the a bike shop is when something is obviously broken.

You need to learn the basic DIY skills to mend a puncture and fine tune brake and gear cables, as these might need to be done when miles from home

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AmNat

The saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", very much applies to bikes. Check your bike for working brakes, tyre pressures, and any abnormal wobbly bits on the bike, every time you go for a ride. Otherwise, regular servicing is not really necessary. Only need to go the a bike shop is when something is obviously broken.

You need to learn the basic DIY skills to mend a puncture and fine tune brake and gear cables, as these might need to be done when miles from home

I can do all those things but I'd rather pay someone else to do them for me, if possible, as they are dirty jobs, and time-consuming.

I don't cycle that much, maybe 30 miles/week, but I seem to need to change the chain every 18 months or so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lean to do it yourself ? Plenty of google videos, and a general oil and wipe down is all you need most of the time. I commute on a bike that's over 30 years old but looked after, and parts replaced as/when they wear out.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Learn to do it yourself ? Plenty of google videos, and a general oil and wipe down is all you need most of the time.
Fossy - the OP has made clear he "can do all those things but rather pay someone else to do them for [them], if possible, as they are dirty jobs, and time-consuming."
The vast majority of chatters who looks at these M&R threads will have difficulty empathising, including me.
We know how little/much is required daily/weekly and that it's neither dirty nor time-consuming, but people's thresholds and time values are different.
They are either doing pre-ride (daily) checks or they aren't. Who knows what pressure there is in the tyres but if not getting punctures, who cares (not the OP)? And that stuff can't be done be someone coming round once a month.
Hopefully cycletechuk will allow a match to be made in heaven.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A quick Internet search throws up Fix This Bike in NW1.

They pick up, repair and return your bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fossy - the OP has made clear he "can do all those things but rather pay someone else to do them for [them], if possible, as they are dirty jobs, and time-consuming."
The vast majority of chatters who looks at these M&R threads will have difficulty empathising, including me.

And, all the various time constraints - i.e. can't take the bike away etc, must come to me. Every month or two, that's going to be expensive.

Top Bottom